JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gear S2 fast battery drain January 2017

(Topic created: 01-20-2017 03:12 PM)
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S2 (non phone version) has been running with no battery issues where it would last up to 36 hours. Bluetooth active, Sleep as Android etc. I started to get a cache full on my S7 in late January 2017 so I told it to clear cash and it seemed to start the problem. I did have music on my watch and had about 1 gb of memory left.

The battery started to last maybe 5 to 6 hours. I did a full reset/rebuild on the watch and went to base settings but it only added a couple of hours.  

Based on use and past performance I have to believe that it was a recent update to either the watch or phone.  

Please advise as to issue cause and how to restore the watch to it's former battery capacity.

Gear 2 

model SM-R732

Tinzen 2.3.2.1

SoftwareR732XXU2EPK5

Knox 2.0.0

Knox Tinzenwearable 1.0.0

Tima 3.0.0

Galaxy S7  edge

Gear App

Device SM-G935P

Device Name: Gear S2 8CD3

Samsung gear app  - 2.2 16101261

Gear S Plugin - 2.2.03. 16111661

JUMP TO SOLUTION
188 Replies
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have used this solution for the last several months and the battery is back to 48 hours or better. My watch face is blue stealth.

0 Likes
userrytbeVDXEr
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

What solution?

userHygTsEI4DD
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Had my Gear S2 since they it was released, never an issue until July 2017. Went through the factory reset, installed 5 songs, 5 pictures, 1 app, turned it off and charged it all night.  Fifteen minutes off the charger it's already down to 82% from 100%.  I am a huge Samsung fan but am quickly losing my enthusiasm.

0 Likes
userDNIj55dIK5
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

AGREE. FRUSTRATED. 

@userHygTsEI4DD wrote:

Had my Gear S2 since they it was released, never an issue until July 2017. Went through the factory reset, installed 5 songs, 5 pictures, 1 app, turned it off and charged it all night.  Fifteen minutes off the charger it's already down to 82% from 100%.  I am a huge Samsung fan but am quickly losing my enthusiasm.

0 Likes
userqK1NpBYMRW
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

This solution does not work.

0 Likes
userqsBYnQI85k
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

oké, seems a lot of complaints and no real answer to the problem....
Well, I had this problem a few months ago showing up. The usual reset on the watch, not really effective; a reset on the smartphone (since it could use that as well) also not really the answer.
Not really meaning, it helped a bit..., for a while.... But still, where were those 4+ days on a charge gone?

Analitics:

If a device suddenly acts different, without any (known)update, then it is either broken/battery failure/or external cause. Since we have 2 same watches + one NEO, & same smartphones (S7 & S5), I could compare....

One is running normal, one suddenly quickly drained battery(both running with S7), & the NEO(on S5) running normal. Major change in recent past: android upgrade on S7 both. My partner's S7 is static (meaning apps & config), my S7 sometimes gets changes & got some other /more apps.

Then we changed to S8plus: same issue; my gear drains, her's is normal.

What I found:

combination of some apps AND the newer/improved google clever joke [tickmarked: improve accuracy for location by scanning bluetooth/wifi for networks -even if not switched on!!!-] This functionality, when activated, queries yr watch via bluetooth so often, that it drains the gear!
Swithing it (improve accuracy for location) off for bluetooth, (better for both if you care about privacy & security) will give yr battery a normal life-span again.

BUT: be mindfull, it (that improved accuracy...) can be re-activated by some apps/apps-updates; what happened with me. So find yr app if it later is switched on again.
I hope this info helps...

RobinHood282 

0 Likes
user60sLDfbpXo
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I did this and it worked... for a while.  Back to square one.

0 Likes
userOx2vLsNpsg
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I've done all of these things and its still happening!  I even went and did a warranty claim to get a new watch, which has the same problem!  Ugh!

0 Likes
userqsBYnQI85k
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

As I stated before, in my opinion the problem is not the watch, rather it is caused by the (advanced) location settings on the smartphone.
Since I can compare 2 (+ 1 NEO) watches & their connected smartphones and see where differences and their impact are, I still believe as stated above and my earlier post.

So I suggest to check those advanced location settings (improve accuracy: through bluetooth and/or Wifi)

And what could help to diagnose; charge yr watch/battery, then simply switch off Bluetooth on yr watch and let it run untill yr battery is empty: see how long it runs, then recharge and re-connect(switch bluetooth back on), then see hwo long the watch runs on a full battery charge and compare the time...

Disabling the bluetooth is making the watch less functional of course, but it gives an idea of how long a fully charged battery can run.

RobinHood282

0 Likes
userJfqvfiPguw
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I normally have bluetooth disabled for most of the day due to not being able to use it connected whilst at work and the battery drains quickly. This recently started to happen within the last week. 

0 Likes