JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gear S2 fast battery drain January 2017

(Topic created: 01-20-2017 03:12 PM)
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S2 (non phone version) has been running with no battery issues where it would last up to 36 hours. Bluetooth active, Sleep as Android etc. I started to get a cache full on my S7 in late January 2017 so I told it to clear cash and it seemed to start the problem. I did have music on my watch and had about 1 gb of memory left.

The battery started to last maybe 5 to 6 hours. I did a full reset/rebuild on the watch and went to base settings but it only added a couple of hours.  

Based on use and past performance I have to believe that it was a recent update to either the watch or phone.  

Please advise as to issue cause and how to restore the watch to it's former battery capacity.

Gear 2 

model SM-R732

Tinzen 2.3.2.1

SoftwareR732XXU2EPK5

Knox 2.0.0

Knox Tinzenwearable 1.0.0

Tima 3.0.0

Galaxy S7  edge

Gear App

Device SM-G935P

Device Name: Gear S2 8CD3

Samsung gear app  - 2.2 16101261

Gear S Plugin - 2.2.03. 16111661

JUMP TO SOLUTION
188 Replies
Christian_D
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I guess I will add my name to the list of people with the exact same issue.

Gear S2 classic / NON 3G about a year and a half old.  Samsung Galaxy Note 4.  

About a week and a half ago.. the watch went from full charge to about 50% after an entire day of use.  Moderate use.. Replying to text messages, checking the time..  S-Health usage.   Very happy with the watch for the last year and a half.  Then, about a week ago.. Noticed that the watch is a little warm all the time.  NOT Hot.. but warm against my wrist.  Hrmm..  Full charge to 15% in less than 4 hours.   Dead by noon.   So, the warmth seems that watch is trying to do something or run something constantly.  All apps are closed, turned it off and back on.   Take the watch off and set it down, its fine and is cool to the touch after about 30 minutes... Then as soon as it goes back on my wrist, it starts to get warm, and not 'body temp warm' but significantly warmer, and the battery drain starts again.  Again, this is a NON 3G watch.

I did notice, for a bit.. that if I take the watch off, and don’t wear it at all.. the battery will go for days without a charge or draining much battery.  However, as soon as I put it on my wrist.. the watch warms, and the battery just drains super-fast.  

Reset Gear / Removed and Re-installed Gear app on my Note 4.   Same issue.   Also noticed that the longer it’s on the charger, for example, take the watch off on Friday, put it on the charger, and pick it up Monday morning to use it.. the battery dies even faster.  Won’t make it to 10 am before 'low battery'.

Everything is fully updated, and if it is a 'planned obsolescence' from Samsung, that would be incredibly disappointing.  

I have no ‘fix’ as all of the above mentioned ‘fixes’ have not worked for me, the watch or my phone.  Hopefully there will be an update, or an identified issue that is resolved.  I was really looking forward to upgrading to the S3, as I like the size of the watch more.  However, I am not willing to throw $300 at a bit of tech that will do the same thing in a year.   I also don’t feel that shutting off all of the options on the watch to make it last throughout the day should be considered a ‘fix’ as all the functionality worked fine previously.

Thanks everyone for all you suggestions.  Samsung?? Got any ideas?

Christian_D
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Well.. I thought it was fixed.. 

I factory reset the watch... again...  I removed and reinstalled the Gear application on my Note 4.. Again.  And for 2 days, it was great.  Charged over night, took the watch off the charger in the morning, and wore it all day.  Got home at 4pm, looked at the battery.. 84%   WOW!!!    The watch never got warm on my wrist.  Worked great!!!

So this morning, same thing. Picked the watch up off the charger 100%.  Put it on my wrist.. Texting wife a couple of times with the phone.  All of a sudden the watch starts getting warm on my wrist.  Look at the battery life.. 62%.  So in the matter of 1 hour and 30 minutes.   Dropped 38% battery. 

I just restarted the phone and the watch feels like it might be cooling off.  Still at 62%, so it hasnt dropped in the last 10-15 minutes.

Battery - Usage

Contacts - 42% 

S Health - 13%

0 Likes
userRe46d6i16V
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

i also have this problem but my S7 edge battery is dying within 8 to 10 hours this only since i got my S2.

Samsung need to sort this problem and quick.

0 Likes
userXZXAuxE1w0
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I just got my gear2 Friday. It will not stay charged for a half a day. I'm very disappointed. Is this normal? I'm considering taking it back.

0 Likes
userqOlDXyEkSA
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Having the very same issue. 6 hours max battery . When is the fix!

0 Likes
userqwhbG9GUDC
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Is there a solution for this issue? Recharge battery twice a day is ridiculous.

0 Likes
usertb6IWYcsr3
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I hope you're not relying on a fix from Samsung..   People have been complaining about it forever, and no fix yet....

I did a reset on my watch.  Then, go into the app, and turn off auto-updates.  My watch seems to behave like it did before I did that update.  

Hope this helps!  Good luck!

S M
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
What update? I'm having the same problem all of a sudden, but I don't remember doing an update. I did a cache clear like the other user mentioned when my problem started shortly after.
0 Likes
user6ISEilxwDI
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
same problem since last 7 days.... All of sudden battery drains.... maximum 5 hours...
0 Likes
usernEnLYp8Af7
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Exactly the same issue I am facing.

@samsung978531 What is done to address this?

0 Likes