JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gear S2 fast battery drain January 2017

(Topic created: 01-20-2017 03:12 PM)
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S2 (non phone version) has been running with no battery issues where it would last up to 36 hours. Bluetooth active, Sleep as Android etc. I started to get a cache full on my S7 in late January 2017 so I told it to clear cash and it seemed to start the problem. I did have music on my watch and had about 1 gb of memory left.

The battery started to last maybe 5 to 6 hours. I did a full reset/rebuild on the watch and went to base settings but it only added a couple of hours.  

Based on use and past performance I have to believe that it was a recent update to either the watch or phone.  

Please advise as to issue cause and how to restore the watch to it's former battery capacity.

Gear 2 

model SM-R732

Tinzen 2.3.2.1

SoftwareR732XXU2EPK5

Knox 2.0.0

Knox Tinzenwearable 1.0.0

Tima 3.0.0

Galaxy S7  edge

Gear App

Device SM-G935P

Device Name: Gear S2 8CD3

Samsung gear app  - 2.2 16101261

Gear S Plugin - 2.2.03. 16111661

JUMP TO SOLUTION
188 Replies
TKnowledge89
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Samsung says, they dont influence how their electronics respond when they get older.  Such as Apples forcing people to buy new Apple products.  My Samsung Gear S2 is a perfect example of Samsung sending downloads to influence the behavior of my watch, warranting me to want to buy a new one.  I have had my S2 watch for 2 years now and I've posted on this site before.  Every mid summer (June July) and around the November to January timeframe, Samsung will release an update for the watch.  Within 5 days after you complete your update, your battery will drain and last no more than 2 hours.  I thought I had found a solution by cutting off the watch before charging.  Then around Christmas, a dreaded update that has made my watch useless once again. 

I love my personal Samsung phone and I have a Iphone for work in which I do not like but I'm afraid that this endeavor has pushed me over the edge.  Two years of wearing a fake watch that has no power is Korny.  The Gear is so much better than the Apple Watch but Samsung refuses to help me with a solution.

My suggestion to you all is, if you must buy this watch, get it from Best Buy with a 2 year warranty and make them replace it every year when the battery starts to die as it will.  When Best Buy begins replacing these every year from hundreds of thousands of people, this will cause Samsung to resolve the problem or Best Buy stop carrying the product because of its inferiority.

0 Likes
useroxZy71MQ1m
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Do a factory reset on your gear watch.

Then uninstall the Samsung gear app from your phone.

Then download and install older versions {(September or before) of samsung gear and gear s app (apk better) on your phone.

Gear battery life will be back to normal and no fast draining.

It's worked for me

Have a try

userTjaAwqKFgu
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

This problem has happened three times to me. Every time I update the watch the following setting gets reset

Settings -> Connections -> Alerts

Simply turn it off and the battery life should revert to 1.5-2 days usage.

0 Likes
userbMxAF5sJ7d
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
But doesn't turning off the alerts defeat the purpose of the watch?
0 Likes
userz7QtjSeWNy
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

it's actually just the bluetooth alert. it tells you when your watch is connected via bluetooth or not...I think lol

0 Likes
userC1r8Z09UOr
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I wanted to test, and if I put my watch into airplane mode, it lasts like normal, but the minute I connect it to my phone, it stinks the battery down and in an hour I'm down 30% already..  what a joke.  Anyone know how to install an older version of the app?

0 Likes
userxOkTBMl4M6
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I've found a solution that worked for me.

I have the same problem that everybody have. After an update my S2 last between 4-5 hours. I had it connected to a Galaxy Note 5 phone.

I saved my configuration in the Samsung Cloud

I reconnected the S2 watch to a new Huawey P9 lite phone with Android 7.0. Then the S2 returned to life with more than 1.5 days lasting.

After that I unistalled the Gear App from my Note 5, and reinstalled it and reconnected the S2 to the Note 5 Phone. My S2 is still lasting more than 1.5 days.

Hope that can help anybody.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hey, did the solution presented by userxOkTBMl4M6 prove successful? 

0 Likes
userxOkTBMl4M6
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

It has passaed a month sice I made the steps thta I described before and my S2 is still working fine with everything enabled, wifi, bluetooth, messages.

I think that the problem can be more the Samsung Gear plugin in the phone that gets corrupted and make continuous communications. Not only my s2 lasts more, also my phone battery lasts more.

Does anybody tested what worked to me to check if it works?

0 Likes
usereONghLwBgT
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

There is no solution. Samsung is aware and isn't fixing it. 

0 Likes