JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Gear S2 fast battery drain January 2017

(Topic created: 01-20-2017 03:12 PM)
userZ38hlUFMlP
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S2 (non phone version) has been running with no battery issues where it would last up to 36 hours. Bluetooth active, Sleep as Android etc. I started to get a cache full on my S7 in late January 2017 so I told it to clear cash and it seemed to start the problem. I did have music on my watch and had about 1 gb of memory left.

The battery started to last maybe 5 to 6 hours. I did a full reset/rebuild on the watch and went to base settings but it only added a couple of hours.  

Based on use and past performance I have to believe that it was a recent update to either the watch or phone.  

Please advise as to issue cause and how to restore the watch to it's former battery capacity.

Gear 2 

model SM-R732

Tinzen 2.3.2.1

SoftwareR732XXU2EPK5

Knox 2.0.0

Knox Tinzenwearable 1.0.0

Tima 3.0.0

Galaxy S7  edge

Gear App

Device SM-G935P

Device Name: Gear S2 8CD3

Samsung gear app  - 2.2 16101261

Gear S Plugin - 2.2.03. 16111661

JUMP TO SOLUTION
188 Replies
useri3pdEFwkA8
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

With so many user reporting this issue, this should not be marked as 'solved'.

userlcFCLUXCIo
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
Got 2 pears of Gear 2 Neo it isn't defect for sure great battery life before now hardly manage a few hours. That defiantly is software problem that been accruing after Gear plugin update. What the heck is that?
Trying to kill watch or what? Made me buy latest one for no reason?
If that app is bad simply revert previous one at lest.
0 Likes
Christian_D
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

1 hour off the charger from full charge..  took it off the charger at 6:25 am.. it is now... 7:34 am.... 

Watch started getting really warm all of a sudden on my wrist again..  Battery already down 28%.    Go to the gear app manager on the phone.   Contacts app shows 52% used since last fully charged.

How much more information can we provide to Samsung, that the there is a problem with the contacts app???  

0 Likes
Obscured84
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Finally it is solved for me, 

After sending it back the 3rd time, they have fixed it. 

They have replaced the chip and battery.

Now the watch is still having 89% over night whilst connected to the phone. 

0 Likes
userFmQmmB2X4b
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I have the 3g version of the Gear S2, I used to finish the day with anywhere between 25-55% battery left depending on usage. After the software update a few weeks ago, it struggles to make it through a full day, not even 24 hours, but like 18 hours is a feat. I have done a factory reset and restored it from a backup, that didn't help. So I restored it again from scratch, not from a back up but started like new, and uninstalled and reinstalled the Gear app on my phone. Still draining really quickly. It has drained 34% in 4 hours. At this rate it will be dead before I get home tonight around 6. It is not a hardware problem since before the update it never had any problems. I am using it with a Galaxy S8 running 8.0. Could it be some of the new widgets that are draining it this fast?

0 Likes
userFmQmmB2X4b
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Just updating my last comment. I messaged one of the "Samsung Experts" and he acknowledged there was a "snag in the most recent OS update" and that Samsung is aware of it and working on a fix. He did not however give a ETA for when a fix would be released...

useruwB0ET24xX
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Any update from Samsung?  My gear S2 Classic is having the SAME exact problems - I used to have a battery that lasted over 2 days, with all kinds of apps running.  Now, I've lowered the screen brightness and eliminated most of the non-essential background apps, and I'm lucky if I get 12 hours!  

Oddly, it does seem to have started when that new OS update was pushed through...better not be Samsung's way of getting us to upgrade to the Gear S3!  >.<    I am quite fond of my Gear S2 and have no plans (or $$$) to upgrade just yet! 

Christian_D
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Here I am still fighting this.   Here is a little more information for the folks at Samsung - 

This morning take my S2 (Non 3G) watch off the charger after charging over night.  100%.  Put on my wrist, and go out to my car.  Watch never cools off.. still feels warm from the charging.  Drive to work, text my daughter while waiting at a stoplight about 3/4 the way to work from my phone.  (Galaxy Note 4).

Watch starts warming on my wrist.  Drive the rest of way into work.  30 minutes later, watch still warm on my wrist.  Look at the battery, 66%.   So in 45 minutes to an hour after taking the watch off of the charger, the battery has dropped 37%.   Open Gear app on my phone.  Go to Apps > Contacts > battery usage since last full charge  33%.   Force stop the app.  

It has been 1 hour since then, and the battery is back up to 77%...  ?!?!??!???????    So the battery has gotten battery POWER BACK!?!  When I killed the Contacts app, after about 10 minutes the watch felt normal and not warm.  

markbc01
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Don't think there is a solution in the short run for the battery issue. 

It is worse than before -worst it's ever been for me.

I have had and used every model Gear, through S2 Classic.

For almost two years  have been using the 3G S2 Classic on AT&T.

its worked great, and been my full-time watch.

There have been a few little hiccups, but never a show stopper. 

However, the latest update (R735AUCU3DRC1 ) to my Gear S2 Classic  has significantly reduced battery life.

Also the battery readings appear unreliable. (One second at 35% power, then at 100%, a bit later at 65% power.)(

This was after resetting the watch with a clean install and no restore.). . . twice!

Also the rom changes to the menus are not positive. 

I don't like the new menu changes -one can sweep up anywhere and you are at a quick settings menu.

That's not as useful (at least for me) as it seems. 

It's harder to navigate inside of an app -already I've hopped out of an app several times with up sweeps and also makes it a bit harder to get fully out of an app without button pressing as well.  

Finally, It might be me, but the menus also seem smaller. 

I am about done with this smart watch; and since I don;t think the other types (Android/Apple) are as effective or well done as Gear and Tizen WERE,. . . I am putting it on the shelf and will cancel my 3G plan as well.

As much as it was a great solution, I can't use a great solution that lasts only 6-8 hours (or less!) without being recharged. 

Sad to say I will probably switch back to my old-but-quite-steady analogue watches, which don't do more than

tell time/day or chronometer; but do so non-stop for as long as I wear them -dry or wet. . . 

Baigs
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I noticed that as I turned off apps my power remaining went up.  That makes sense I feel because the previous reading included those apps (I think).  

Did a test, putting the watch in aircraft mode it lasted 3 days before needing recharging.   After fully charging the watch I turned aircraft mode off and power remaining dropped from 100% to 66%.  After turning off apps it raised to 75% .  So something definatly screwy and hoping they figure it out.  

0 Likes