cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SMD79
Cosmic Ray

Samsung Pay on Gear S3 Watch - PIN Lock Issues!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung Pay on the Gear S3 Frontier (BT Version) watch is frustrating.

I've had it since it arrived and love the watch but here's my issue with Samsung Pay on the S3:

1) You basically have to wear your watch really tight in order to prevent the watch from coming off your wrist at all, otherwise if it bumps off your wrist even for a half of a second, the watch locks up and you have to type in a PIN code to get into the watch at all, even to just see the time! Very annoying. Is there a way to set a USER DEFINED amount of time before the watch locks up and the PIN is required. RIght now it's probably set to 1/2 second. It's crazy. I get that it's a security measure but give us the option to say 3 seconds or whatever, and then "approve" the risk we're taking security wise. Right now, my watch is fairly tight, but it still bumps loose several times a day depending on how active I am. And I'll have to type in my PIN just to see the time! 

2) If #1 isn't possible, then can one set it so that if the watch comes loose while running or whatever, that it locks you out of Samsung Pay only, and not the entire watch? I can't even check the time!

I've gone through chat - nice but useless.

I've gone through watch support - they know very little.

I've gone through Samsung Pay support - they say "thanks for the feedback" and "sorry, anything else we can help you with?"

I get it. Change isn't easy. Let alone change involving security. But since you can't disable Samsung Pay when you're not using it (disabling the PIN initializes the app and removes all cards from they watch), I wish there was another way to make this a bit more user friendly.

Frustrating.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SMD79
Cosmic Ray

Re: Samsung Pay on Gear S3 Watch - PIN Lock Issues!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Tried Samsung Chat - nice but they did very little and deferred me to calling in.

Tried Calling Samsung Support - it was immediate that they knew far less about the watch than anyone. Useless.

Eventually Spoke to Samsung Pay support and they said "sorry, nothing we can do about it...just wear your watch tighter". 

Wow, thanks (sarcasm)

Samsung support is pretty awful for these devices. I mean they try and seem to be nice people, not rude or anything...it's just you get the sense they've never ever used the product and are only using keywords to search for something in their "documentation". I get it. Overseas help can sometimes only be so good. It's cheap. Way to go Samsung

So I tried a user forum and despite the Samsung support telling me there's nothing they can do about it I found a solution...

With the newest update you can go to Settings>Security>Screen Lock>Usage 

and then set it to Payments instead of Screen and Payments. Done! Fixed!

Just imagine how good Samsung could be if their support actually knew how their products worked.

Sigh.

39 REPLIES 39
SMD79
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Tried Samsung Chat - nice but they did very little and deferred me to calling in.

Tried Calling Samsung Support - it was immediate that they knew far less about the watch than anyone. Useless.

Eventually Spoke to Samsung Pay support and they said "sorry, nothing we can do about it...just wear your watch tighter". 

Wow, thanks (sarcasm)

Samsung support is pretty awful for these devices. I mean they try and seem to be nice people, not rude or anything...it's just you get the sense they've never ever used the product and are only using keywords to search for something in their "documentation". I get it. Overseas help can sometimes only be so good. It's cheap. Way to go Samsung

So I tried a user forum and despite the Samsung support telling me there's nothing they can do about it I found a solution...

Just imagine how good Samsung could be if their support actually knew how their products worked.

Sigh.

userPKf1rqDPjj
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have the latest version of the OS and I don't see the option to change from screen to payment for the lock.  

usercNzvYhxmNc
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks!  I've been chasing this problem for months.  If I'm tired of the constant PIN requests, and set the watch for no pin (NONE), then all the credit cards info goes to the bit bucket.

By using "Payments" it's working so far.  Wonder why Samsung can't impart such knowledge to users?

user7dYc9ZYm1v
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Lame

Islander
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I found the settings on my S3 Classic, but I am unable to select just payments?  Any ideas anyone?

Geeky Islander!
user9Xb7KFvhtb
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had to turn my Samsung pay off on my Gear S3 as well.

I have a Samsung S6 and I do not see the settings noted in the thread.

Any ideas ?

LordMayhem
Galaxy

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SMD79 wrote:

Wow, thanks (sarcasm)

Sigh.

Thank you!  I was getting frustrated with all the PIN requests, and now set it for payments only.  Great job!

userozs0qMJDRz
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Mine has no option for screen and or payments, in settings/security the only choice is  screen lock and in there the only choice is lock type pin or none

userJKO3XmC1fd
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I had the same issue - I did not see that option for a 'payment only' pin on the watch.

Go to your gear app on the phone, disable auto update, then manually check for an update.  When I did I had a 125mb update waiting that included this security pin option, and 6 other app updates for the phone.

Now I can add samsing pay with the pin issue for that app alone.  Just as it should be.