JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung gear s3 and water ?

(Topic created: 07-27-2018 03:24 PM)
userCTalpapTSo
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I want to know if my gear s3 frontier is waterprof ... can i make shower or get into the sea with the watch?

78 Replies
Jksamx36
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I agree. My watch has been in the tub, shower, river, lake, exercise.. You name it and it's been there; I've had zero problems. Salty water, well, that's a different story as salt gets into everything easily and salt water (salt and moisture) has an extremely high electrical conductivity trait (it can short electrical connections,  ex: dead phone/watch).

I had a Sony xperia ip68 rating phone and took it everywhere and wound up forgetting it in my pocket; it was in the water for maybe 25 seconds. I put it away with my stuff on the beach came back 30 min later to a totally dead phone. So, probably a few bad watches that weren't up to snuff and a few people who don't take care of things the way they think.

However, I left my phone off. Sent to to sony they told me the same thing, "sorry". I got it back took the thing apart removed the battery and shielded parts and used a clean new tooth brush and scrubbed (lightly) with 99% alcohol and let it dry for a few days. Phone still works to this day and it's been a few years since then, my kids use it to play games.

userIGp5lMgq1z
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Hi all,

I can confirm the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier is waterproof. I regularly wear the watch swimming and I swim on average 60 lengths of a 25meter pool. 

I have noticed there is a swimming "function" on S Health, however, this does not appear on the watch when sync'd which is odd.

user9cefYc7Opr
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I've had mine for about 7 months. Never used it aggressively in water (snorkeling, water skiing, etc.)  Basically used it while working outdoors and washing my hands. Maybe wore it twice in the shower.  When it stopped working, warranty repair was denied due to "water damage".  

Now I'm left with no recourse.  I believe this is deceptive advertising.  The watch isn't really water resistant, and since water damage isn't covered they have zero liability.  Meanwhile it's advertised as a rugged, water resistant watch.  Won't buy Samsung again.  

0 Likes
userEPGmhZvTad
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Bought my Gear S3 Frontier 6 months ago.  Wore it in the water for about 5 minutes, 3 times in the same day.  Watch stopped working.  Sent it to Samsung and they sent it back saying it has water damage and they cant repair nor will they replace it.  All marketing material and the website say this is a "Military Grade" watch and show it in water.  Customer support referenced the footnote at the bottom of the page that says it is good for 30 minutes in 5 feet of water.  That does not sound like "Military Grade". 

I liked the look and function of this watch and really dont want to go back to Apple.  Very disappointed with Samsung.

0 Likes
user24LQjcEbyR
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

File complaint with BB they will have to respond

0 Likes
user24LQjcEbyR
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Received this item (Frontier Model)  as a gift purchased from Samsung. Worked great for 90 Days then stopped charging. Returned to Samsung for service. Returned with not economically worth repair "water damage" After a very frustrating month of promises of return phone calls and emails their "Escalation Team Manager" refused to accept item for repair. The issue of water damage is ridiculous since I live in a desert and the only exposure to moisture would be perspiration during my runs. I had a similar problem with their wireless ear buds which was resolved with replacement.

Samsung is selling items advertised as suitable for active persons, water resistant,  but don't seem to be able to deal with perspiration. 

Today after pushing and pushing spoke to a woman in the Service Department who was very sorry and refered me to 3rd party repair if I wanted the watch.  She said that Repair Center has instructions from Samsung not to repair items with corresion from moisture. 

I suggest to all to post as many negitive reviews in as many sites as possible.  I have also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau  regarding the lack of warrenty protection.  I encourgage all to do the same.   

0 Likes
user7lRctAEMb1
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

It won't handle sweat.  I have had two replaced and samsung refuses to replace the third even though the watch is less than a year old.   Never been in water either. 

0 Likes
Howie
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I work with swimming pools and I was patching a liner  under water with the watch on still works just fine. Also I work outside in the heat and again sweat dont bother mine. I would be careful of the ocean though just because the high salt in it.

0 Likes
TRealIronSheep
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I'm in the exact same boat, too. 
My watch has never seen water, aside from a couple rain drops onto the watch face (which I quickly wiped off).

I had a crack on my rear panel assembly (which I didn't even cause, because it was never dropped), but my watch was working fine besides that.

One day, it went from 60% to completely dead. It wouldn't charge past 1%, nor would it hold a charge. It'd turn on to the splash screen, then die.

I sent it in for what they call: "POWER POWER WILL NOT POWER UP," and it seemed like they were going to repair it (it's only 5 months old with minimal use).

1 minute after I got the email saying they were going to work on it, I get another one charging me for $248.92.
Std. Repair Fee was $64.95, LCD Repair Fee was $165.00, and PBA Repair Fee was $0.00. Taxes were $18.97.

When I sent them an email asking them why I owe said amount, they told me I owe the up to $250 because my watch had water damage and as a result, wasn't covered under warranty.
They also told me LCD and PBA were replaced (though PBA isn't listed as something that was repaired).

"I have verified the service ticket (#). We see that there is water damage detected on the watch. 

Samsung provides 12 months of warranty to its Gears from the date of purchase. Physical, liquid and cosmetic damages are not covered under Samsung warranty. 

I see the watch is under warranty, but the repair costs you up to $250 as watch is out of warranty by condition and also we see that the PBA (Print Board assembly) and LCD(Liquid Crystal Assemble) has to be replaced in your watch. "

I've since emailed them, telling them it's never been under water, and I never authorized further repairs (since I sent it in under warranty and wasn't expecting to be charged ~$250), nor were they even brought to my attention until after they were fixed... Unless it hasn't been fixed... To be honest, it's unclear whether it was or not, but I refuse to pay.

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

@TRealIronSheepI am sorry to hear that. I would be happy to look into the issue further for you. Could you respond in a private message to http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2 with the following information? 

First/Last Name 

Phone Number

Email Address

Physical Address

Place of Purchase

Serial #

Model #

IMEI#

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes