cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userKo5oGKwody
Astronaut

Re: Samsung gear s3 and water ?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I just had this issue with my S3. It had never been exposed or submerged in water. One day I went to use it and found the bottom right button would not function, top right worked fine. This made it next to impossible to use as I couldn't properly move through menus. Screen worked and it still charged. 

Somehow I managed to get it to go into recovery mode (I assumed it was a software issue at the time). I ended up getting it to reset, but couldn't get past the part where you need to use the bottom right button for something.

I was out of town when it happen so I contacted Samsung via the website chat and let a rep know my situation. Was told it was in warranty, but since it had a time frame for shipping I had to wait until I came back. So I packed the watch back in the box, waited until I got back. Once here I contacted them again, re-opened the ticket and prepared to ship it. Checked it one last time, it had died by then so I couldn't power it on due to the bottom right button not working, but it still charged. Shipped it off.

A few days after they say they got it I got an email saying I need to pay because it's out of warranty. I called and a rep tells me it's in warranty but has "liquid damage" which isn't covered. I asked how, and when they couldn't explain I asked for a supervisor. Then the rep comes back and tells me they can offer a 50% discount this time on the repair, like I'm suppose to feel like I got a favor...no. I ask again what "liquid damage" it had. Then explain again that the watch hasn't EVER been near water, and worked except for that button when I sent it. AND on top of that, they advertise that the watch is IP68 rated (up to 1.5m of water, up to 30 mins) mine hasn't seen conditions even close to that ever. So either they failed wildly at repairing it, or lied about its capabilities knowing the watch was faulty. I asked to speak to a supervisor again. Next thing I know (after almost an hour long phone conversation) now my watch is fully covered under warranty at no extra cost.

My assumption after reading other stories is the watch doesn't hold up to moisture, sweat, or something  similar (which means my is probably destined to break again in the future :/ ), which is not the fault of the user but Samsung. Rather than admitting that, they're telling people their watches sustained "liquid damage" and then have the nerve to charge ridiculous prices for the repairs.

Personally I find it strange that they would push the "water resistant IP68 rated" mess in their selling pitch that hard, while making sure not to cover liquid damage, but ok.

on top of that, doesnt that mean theyre putting their own users in danger because they have a electric device strapped to their arm that is susceptible to getting liquid inside???

Guessed it'll take another Note 7 type fiasco for them to admit their device isn't up to par...

S5, S7 Edge, Note 8, S3, now I'm done.

Just stop buying this stuff, they obviously dont care about us as customers. 

Almost forgot to note that after all this, when I asked the rep to send me an updated email to confirm the change, she told me not to worried as the ticket would reflect the change, and I could call back with the ticket number and let them know...right...When I told her I just wanted some type of tangible evidence she kept insisting they "could not send emails outside of work", and no I don't know what that means either. After asking for the full name of the on shift manager or supervisor, and a long silence, I got a notification on my still functioning Note 8 that I'd received a new email...

Also, I documented everything from beginning to end with photos, videos, emails, text logs, and audio (all 44 minutes of it (* -_-) ). If you have to deal with their customer support, you probably should too.

usero9ccExABkC
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well, after reading all of the problems with the watch my decision is made... No Samsung watch for me!!!

Liljah972
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My watch stopped working a few weeks ago. I went to Samsung store to have it repaired with the warranty. The analysed a water damaged watch wich is not covered by the warranty and Samsung asked me £209 to repair the watch. A brand new watch with warranty is nearly £280...

I opened the watch to see what a water damage looks like then ending cleaning the watch and removing the little trace of corrosion...

Guess what?! My watch is working now! Why I feel like Samsung is not giving us the support we are supposed to have and they are trying to steal us and avoiding fixing the watches on warranty?! I'm really upset!

This is my story in video on the following link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66IZyBAtlo

My watch stopped working a few weeks ago. I went to Samsung store to have it repaired with the warranty. The analysed a water damaged watch wich is not covered by the warranty and Samsung asked me £209 to repair the watch. A brand new watch with warranty is nearly £280... I opened the watch to see
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for providing your solution. Samsung does not suggest self-repair as it voids your warranty. Thank you again for being a part of our community.

userZgDOhkCLEL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Wow, impressive.  Thanks for the video on taking the watch apart and cleaning it!!!

userZgDOhkCLEL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Wow, Impressive! Thanks!!
user96z4w7Mg9S
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Giood morning thanks for sharing. I recently dropped my watch in a cup of juice, it was in there for at least 30 minutes. Once I took it out and waited for like 15 minutes it started to work. No problems since.

Highlighted
user0vo6Ga19Sj
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was also told that the watch was unrepairable due to water damage. I have never used it in a manner other than what the Samsung manual stated. When it went out, it rebooted several times, and then eventually turned completely black. I still have 8 months left on my warranty. I feel like I have been duped by Samsung. 

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I have encountered the same issue/problem with GEAR S3. It took forever to reach a human to have me send in the watch. After all of that frustration, I was told there was liquid damage. It has never been submersed. There was sweat obviously, because I worked out with it. I am so livid that they did not honor the warranty. I thought the GEAR s3 was the best thing ever, but now I consider it a piece of Sh*t. I have lost my faith in Samsung USA mobile.
userI0wg5aVl8v
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I go running and lifting weights (so a lot of sweating) 2 to 3 times a week for the past 2 months.  I somtimes forget and shower with it on afterwards and never had a problem.