JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung gear s3 and water ?

(Topic created: 07-19-2019 08:00 PM)
userCTalpapTSo
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I want to know if my gear s3 frontier is waterprof ... can i make shower or get into the sea with the watch?

78 Replies
user7lRctAEMb1
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Exact same issues and me.

0 Likes
userVlpJr9jsQ4
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same exact thing happened to me! 5 months into owning my watch, I got a couple of strange green stripes on my screen  Watch still full functional, touch screen still responsive, no other issue other than the strange screen issue. Sent the watch in, told it was under warranty, two days later my watch returned to me with no resolution of what Samsung did to repair..  Or not to repair. I called Samsung and was told it suffered water damage and it would not be covered under warranty. I called repeatedly for a week until the issue was escalated. Was promised that I would receive a resolution call withing the week. No surprise, I received no call. The following week came, I started calling again. Finally, after an hour on hold, I spoke to a "supervisor", was told there is corrosion on the motherboard  I explain that this watch had never seen anything more than sweat. They dismissed all comments and said they would not lift the BER (beyond economical repair).

So explain this to me, if this was a motherboard issue, why does my watch still have full function? I asked all of this questions to the "supervisor", and of course they had no explanation. 

0 Likes
userVlpJr9jsQ4
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Same exact thing happened to me! 5 months into owning my watch, I got a couple of strange green stripes on my screen  Watch still full functional, touch screen still responsive, no other issue other than the strange screen issue. Sent the watch in, told it was under warranty, two days later my watch returned to me with no resolution of what Samsung did to repair..  Or not to repair. I called Samsung and was told it suffered water damage and it would not be covered under warranty. I called repeatedly for a week until the issue was escalated. Was promised that I would receive a resolution call withing the week. No surprise, I received no call. The following week came, I started calling again. Finally, after an hour on hold, I spoke to a "supervisor", was told there is corrosion on the motherboard  I explain that this watch had never seen anything more than sweat. They dismissed all comments and said they would not lift the BER (beyond economical repair).

So explain this to me, if this was a motherboard issue, why does my watch still have full function? I asked all of this questions to the "supervisor", and of course they had no explanation.

I have owned every gear watch made thus far, and every galaxy phone thus far... . Strongly thinking about a different choice of manufacturer. Samsung is a joke with customer service, and obviously have no issue posting a fake warranty and/or ip rating. 

0 Likes
Tuck1
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S3 had the common problem of many where it entered into a continual reboot loop.  The watch was sent into the repair center and now I have also received a return with a letter from Samsung stating my Gear S3 is unrepairable due to liquid damage.  My watch has never been in any form of liquid.  Through this community I have seen a ton of similar replies.  I don't understand why Samsung is not able to resolve my issue.  I did not know that Samsung was in the business of selling disposable watches.  This is total disception.

0 Likes
Tuck1
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My Gear S3 has a continual reboot problem.  The watch was sent in to Samsung for repair and was received back within one week unrepaired with the statement:  "un-repairable due to liquid damage".  The watch has never been in any form of liquid; however, I purchased this watch because of its various functionality and being advertised as water resistent (even had videos).  One of the most  sought after features is the ability to track activities through S-Health and other apps.  I guess we're not suppose to sweat during our activities.

Due to it's "un-repairable" status, I took the watch apart to clean the components and look at the Liquid Damage Indicator (LDI) tape.  To my surprise the tape is just inside the 3 speaker holes located on the side of the watch which is most susceptible to sweat dripping down the arm.  This appears to be poor engineering, but beyond that, I don't understand how that exposure would result in damage to the entire watch where it is deemed unrepairable.    My firm belief is this a tactical ploy by Samsung to make a product that has a limited life and disqualify themselves of any responsibility.

Apparently, our only resolve may be to void ourselves of any future Samsung purchases.  I have many Samsung products and have had a bad experience with my Note 5 in the past.  We are in the process of building a new house and were considering Samsung appliances; however, that will not happen because of their abhorent customer service.  My family will look elsewhere and when talking with others our advice will always be - STAY AWAY FROM SAMSUNG!

0 Likes
userlKOxuych7h
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I've had this same issue and it is infuriating. I sent the watch to a local repair shop and they repaired it saying that they'd only cleaned out water from the motherboard. This issue has since occured again. It seems I won't be buying Samsung products ever again. There's a ton of people complaining about the same issue and we're being neglected.

0 Likes
userNEXcHCxsgt
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I got the same BS reply, I never submerged my watch but am an avid runner and I suspect the water damage came from that. I will be compiling all these complainants and filing a class action suit against them for false advertising. Please stay posted...

0 Likes
VLM84
Constellation
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I know this post is old but i hve the same problem. Nothing but my sweat touched it and it has an unrepairabel water damage.

0 Likes
Samsung_QcpFHOR
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

This must be the month that they have decided to reject any repairs no matter how old the product is or how long of an extended warranty you purchase. I have been very loyal to Samsung the past few years with TV's, Washer and Dryer, Fridge, Stove and other items. 

I felt I could use this watch in a practical manner based upon their product sales tactics see below

Can you wear Samsung Galaxy watch in the shower?
The default watch strap of the 46mm Galaxy Watch is made of black silicone. ... The silicone bands are the most functional, as you can take advantage of the Galaxy Watch's IP68 water resistance. The watch is water-resistant up to 50 meters, meaning it will easily survive swims in the pool

I have never abused this watch other than possibly showering with it a few times, but even this this is fine based upon product reviews and sales literature. I do sweat a great deal, but who would think with a so called 50 meter resistance that everyday wear would destroy it. 

I purchased 3 year extended warranty also. What or why are they allowed to take more of my money if they do no repair "liquid damage or physical damage" as I argued with the stubbern CS rep. What else would need work or repairs?

Truly a disapointing result. Another big company selling you on smoke and mirrors support then throw you to the curb when their sub-par product needs repaired. 

What a joke, they definately are showing me that better organizations are available.
Ricky Grimes ticket number 4151084825
0 Likes
usercB6U0ldy7i
Astronaut
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I think that all of the people here who were burned by Samsung for having "liquid damage" have been sweating on the watch and never rinsing it off, which it says to do if it does get wet with something that would leave a residue. Sweat definitely will have some corrosive properties if it seeps into the watch and leaves salt, so continually sweating a lot with it on and failing to rinse it off once in a while is probably what cause the "liquid damage" even though it was really just the salt that caused damage and not water. Just a thought, but they still should make more of a point to rinse it off after sweating on it if I'm understanding the problem correctly.