JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Transfer to a new watch

(Topic created: 09-07-2020 08:05 PM)
user2UBNttawBB
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

My old S3 Frontier seems to be giving up the ghost. I have a new one that has never been worn.

I would like to keep all the same apps, settings etc. without having to rebuy or reload everything.

Is there a way to transfer everything?
If I can get the old watch repaired can I use both watches at different times? (One for work, one for dress.)

Most important are Samsung health and Pay.

5 Replies
Solution
JoshQ
Sun
Options
Gear and Gear Fit
Yes you will have to back everything up so that it transfers over. Also, yes, you will be able to use both watches at different times as long as you have them both connected via the Galaxy Wear app👍

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
user2UBNttawBB
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Thank you,

I'm not very tech savy, I did find where to back the watch up in the wear app, but I'm not sure about how to transfer that to the new watch.

Do I just turn the old one off then start the new and use restore or is there some other procedure?

Does one watch need to be turned off when not being used, or will they not interfere?

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

I'm pretty sure that Samsung Pay will only work with one watch. 

user2UBNttawBB
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

Yep you were correct. As soon as I started setting Pay up on the new watch it deleted the old one. Oh well, I'll just have to use the phone if I wear the old watch.

0 Likes
user2UBNttawBB
Asteroid
Options
Gear and Gear Fit

The Good: Backing up the old watch and then using restore after connecting the new transfered most everything.

The Bad: Samsung Pay has to start all over. Every card has to be imported and go through the security proceedures all over again. All cards are also deleted from the previous device. Some other settings had to be manually done as well.

The Ugly: I set the second watch (backup in case the original failed) up because after a couple years of hard use I thought either the watch battery was starting to fail or the watch had just been banged around too much (including hitting the pavement in a motorcycle crash). The battery went from lasting for 2 days easy to going from 70% to dead overnight. the watch becomes unresponsive. I have to reboot frequently. Some sensors aren't working consitantly. Well, the new watch seems to be having some of the same issues. So It seems we have a software issue, which in the long run means I probably still have two good watches. However Samsung seems to have an issue with letting these things go for long periods before putting out a fix, so I'll have to put up with the frustrations for a while.  As much as I love modern technology, I also hate it.

0 Likes