cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userPWS7mqyvkI
Asteroid

Warranty and Customer support for Samsung Gear Sport smartwatch

I've been looking to buy a new smartwatch. Two basic requirements are the ability to use the swim.com app and to respond to text messages. The Gear Sport seems to tick those boxes and is not too expensive.

I was all set to buy one until I read the Amazon reviews, several of which described issues with the waterproofing failing, but more concerning the apparent terrible response from Samsung Customer Service. While it's probably true that a small percentage of these devices are likely to fail this way, I'm not inclined to give my dollars to a company that treats its customers badly. Do any community members, or indeed Samsung CS, have any feedback on this topic?

Thanks

Gareth

8 REPLIES 8
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Warranty and Customer support for Samsung Gear Sport smartwatch

Unfortunately I can't answer to what the reviewers might have said about their experiences. But, I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the device or the warranty terms. Smiley Happy

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userPWS7mqyvkI
Asteroid

Well I suppose what would concern me most is that it appears warranty work can be refused if the watch has "water damage". - how is this exactly possible on a waterproof watch? (assuming one has not gone scuba diving with it.

The more general question would be what are conditions that would make Samsung refuse to repair/replace a non-functional watch within the warranty period?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

To explain a bit, the watch is not waterproof. It is only water resistant within specific conditions. The Samsung limited warranty does not cover physical, cosmetic, or liquid damages. So if the watch has been placed into conditions harsher than intended by specifications, the warranty would be voided due to condition where liquid is found on the internal components. 

The exact coverage under warranty can be found on pages 16-20 here: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201709/20170913060729306/WEA_SM-R600_Gear_Sport_EN_TC_T...

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userPWS7mqyvkI
Asteroid

That's the trouble of course: the water resistance is not at all clearly defined. You say "water resistant within certain physical conditions", but those are very vaguely defined. In the document you reference, it states:

This device is rated 5ATM.
Your device is water resistant up to 50 meters per ISO standard 22810:2010. Not intended for scuba diving. Avoid excessive, sudden temperature changes, and high velocity activities.

Nowhere in the document does it state that it is OK to use the watch when swimming, and yet it has a swim tracking function. Suppose I use it to swim and it stops working because it leaks water inside. How does Samsung make the determination that it leaked due to misuse or because there was a defect in manufacture or assembly?

usergvsSXD1Hm2
Astronaut

Same exact issue I have. Hopefully this will eventually land in the US AG's lap. Australia is sueing Samsung for their water resistent claim. I would suggest your local small claims court if you have time. After contacting the Texas AG, I'm taking them to small claims court. 

userPWS7mqyvkI
Asteroid

Well happily I never bought a Samsung watch. I was concerned about what I read regarding water damage and swimming and Samsung's failure to stand behind their product.

I ended up buying a Garmin. Their product explicitly says it's rated for swimming. So far it's fine.

userSzmYmaVE4w
Asteroid

There is not determination.  There is only a "it's not covered under warranty" if there is any damage due to water.  It's crazy but that's what they are doing.  I got to the point where they offered to repair the watch for free and then the very next day, told me the watch was irrepairable and they "couldn't" replace it for free so I had to pay them $190 for a new one.  HA, like I would ever pay for another one of their watches they won't stand behind.  Stay clear of Samsung.  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

@userSzmYmaVE4w I would be happy to assist you further. Can I please have your full ticket number in a private message: http://bit.ly/2JH2rq2