Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
user8M63eWj6xX
Astronaut

gear s3 frontier battery drain

On June 6th 2019 I got a new firmware release R760XXU2ESE3

One UI 1.0

TIZEN 4.0.0.4

since that moment, my device last for 4 hours while before it last for 24 h with the same services activated.

Please, fix that issue immediatly. Gear S3 become useless for me.

10 REPLIES 10
user84qzKy4zXZ
Asteroid

Re: gear s3 frontier battery drain

Mines totally unusable now too. Check this out for battery drain. 11am and it's only got 5% left since it's charge 2hours ago!

Screenshot_20190612-110610_Gear S PlugIn.jpg

userytlvYt9eaR
Astronaut

Same issue - updated to the latest software June 2019, battery would have expired 6-7 hour later.  I read the posts, performed a reset, cleaning out all extra apps.  Seems to last about 12-14 hours now, but not nearly as good as before the update.  I was able to go 2 days sometimes, and that was with various custom watchfaces, plus weather turned on.  I've turned everything off, using only the provided watch faces, no apps.  Sometimes I have 30% battery after about 12 hours, other times the battery is gone by 3 pm.  I have the network as Auto, so maybe if I'm away from my phone it hunts for a network - possible problem.  However, this is not a very functional watch right now - the idea is to actually have useful apps running, right now I'm fighting to have it just work as a basic watch that has a HR monitor built-in.

b_o_b
Asteroid

It appears the problem may be in how the latest software is determining the remaining battery capacity.

I was able to get 2.5 days of use out of my watch, even though the software thought the battery was empty.

I ran the watch until the software thought the battery was at zero charge, and then automatically shut the software off.

When I plugged it into the charger, it showed around 50% of charge remaining and began to charge.

I immediately turned the power on and let the watch boot - which displayed about 50% of charge remaining, matching what the watch was displaying when it was in "off mode" on the charger.

I then removed the watch from the charger, not allowing it to charge.

The watch would operate like normal, except that it would go more quickly from 50% to 0% and shut off.

I repeated this cycle multiple times - and was able to stretch out the battery charge to 2.5 days.  Each time I repeated the cycle, the watch would take less and less time to go from around 50% down to 0% and shut off.

The last time I placed the watch on the charger, it still showed 43% of charge left in the battery when it started charging - though after rebooting the watch would shut off within a few seconds, probably indicating the battery really is out of juice, despite the "43% full" reading.

So what this means is that the battery appears to be holding about the charge level expected - more than 2 days.  But the software doesn't recognize that - and believes the battery has less charge than it really has.

So rather than draining battery faster than with the previous release, the problem may be with how the new software is estimating remaining charge.

We bought our Gear S3 watches to use for measuring distances during golf.  Prior to the update, we could play 18 holes of golf and usually have 30-40% of battery left.  Now the battery only lasts 8 or 9 holes, effectively reducing our smartwatch to just being a watch...

userxAPVBw4oH7
Constellation

Same excessive battery drain issue here.

In the app, under Advanced, I have all toggles set  to disable. I discovered that enabling Touch Wake Up improved battery significantly, which makes no sense, so I think there is also a battery drain bug. 

I also have heart rate monitor set to continuous, screen set to on Watch always on. 

Woosl
Asteroid

My Frontier seemd\s to get dumber with each update.  No heart rate monitoring (manual or auto) since June 20 (update time).  No altimeter no barometer; no accurate step counting; etc.  PLUS battery will not last through the night ... not exactly a heavy use time.  During the day.  I can only charge it once, because it may take up to 16 hours to charge.

This ususally occurs with an update, but then Samsung corrects it in 2 or 3 weeks.  Not so much this time.

I hate to say it, but Apple is looking better all the time.

userZOL5x8Coqq
Constellation

Same here...

Since last update I can wear my watch for like 4 (!) hours, totaly useless.

I resetted the watch two times, one time I restored the back-up the second time I didn't but it didn't helped anything. Also I fully turned off the heart rate monitor...

There is so much complaning about this on the Samsung forum, but also on other forums on the internet and Samsung is doing nothing about it!  Very disappointing!

user9LsPMNOk7t
Asteroid

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Re: gear s3 frontier battery drain

(posted this on a couple other thread, hopefully it helps)

Folks,

After watching my Frontier S3 battery use suddently go from 3-4%/hour to almost 20%/hour, I ran through many hoops with to no effect.

• Samsung wanted $70 to 'look at it and probably replace the battery'
  • Performed soft and hard-resets, reloading only default software
  • Uninstalled and re-installed Gear software, not restoring settings
  • Replaced the battery myself
  • Followed most magical voo-doo steps suggested by others on this forum

I was about ready to chuck this thing in the trash when some blessed soul on Reddit suggested that I turn ON the 'Touch Wake-Up'  feature on the watch.

Huh? Turn on a feature that probably uses more battery? What does that have to do with...holy cr*p...it worked!  Apparently this is a 'known' bug (known to redditors but not Samsung Support I guess).

I'm back to 3-4%/hour drain. Amazing that such an critical and impactful bug hasn't been addressed by Samsung hotfix. Not surprising, but amazing.

Try it out and report back!

useruwiWyMux57
Constellation

Re: POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Re: gear s3 frontier battery drain

Same here !

I tought it was the 'Always-On Display' that drained the battery. Turning it off resolved the issue but I lost the functionnality.

Strangely engough, enabling 'Touch Wake-Up'  while keeping AOD enabled resolved the issue as well !

This seems to be a bug on how the software senses the remaining battery though. When the battery dropped to under 15% and I put it on the charger, it showed more than 50% of charge remaining instead of 15%...

Samsung, you know what to do...

Hobbitbluelabel
Astronaut

Turning the  'Touch Wake-Up'  feature on the watch ON will do the trick!

After hours and hours searching this was the only thing that helped.

So Samsung please fix this bug!!!