Wish I wouldn't have bought my phone

Highlighted
Constellation

Wish I wouldn't have bought my phone

So I have been paralyzed from the shoulders down for 10+ years, since I was 23. At that time, flip phones with cameras were all the craze. That was the last time I had a cell phone, until very recently. Decided I needed one because my dad has poor health and if something happened, I would need to be able to call an ambulance or something. Plus, controlling anything with voice and blah blah. I did lots of reading and every Samsung product, I really have liked. In fact, I really really want a 75 inch 3D TV, since what I have is hard for everyone to see if I have multiple people in my room and I never get to go to 3D movies. Anyways, I purchased the Samsung S8+, thinking it was a great phone for me. Samsung said "if you can do it with your finger, you can do it with your voice!" I made a huge mistake. I hate this phone! I hate the entire Bixby thing! It has been more frustrating, then it has been help. Now I'm locked into a contract for something I don't want and it's a pretty big price. Oh well, I guess. I make mistakes all the time in my life and it will not stop anytime soon, I'm cursed. You live and learn sometimes, in my case, you die a few times and still never learn!

7 REPLIES

Re: Wish I wouldn't have bought my phone

I am so sorry that things have worked out this way. Have you already spoken with your carrier or retailer? Voice assistants have come a long way in the last few years but they are just not going to be good enough for you for a while.  All of them should be able to accommodate basic commands but there is just so much they struggle with. Samsung probably should not have made those claims without taking cases like yours into account.

Constellation

Contracts are contracts. Whether your body works, or none of it does. I understand that, and I understood it before I agreed to it. When I got it, it was a week or so before the release of Bixby. I misunderstood that part and thought you could already use it on the phone. So I tried to stay optimistic and waited because most of the reviews, news, etc. said it was going to be awesome and be amazing for voice control. And I waited for updates, more and more would come out extremely quick (no) so I waited trying to be optimistic still. Yeah, past those initial days of being able to return and all that other stuff. That part is my own fault so being able to get rid of this is my own phone. I know that and I am at fault on that one.   I bet it probably is great but only when you combine your voice and your hands/fingers. Using just the voice, impossible to control your entire phone. IMPOSSIBLE to control, my guess, more than 3% of your phone. Makes me cautious about that TV thing I want, but I could never afford it anyways so no big deal.

I had the idea that you had just got the phone, it sounds like you are in the same boat as I am. I also have a "smart TV" with Android and a second TV with an Amazon Fire stick with Alexa. Neither is smart enough to work unless you are really luck's and Amazon or Google gets it on the first try. I support a few Apple users and Siri is a bit better but can be more frustrating because she can do so much and can get into things on your phone or computer. None of them are really ready. You might have more luck with a computer connected to your TV and an application like Dragon.

Constellation

I have Dragon on my computer, that's how I am typing this. I kind of just got the phone in a way, only had one month bill paid so far. I don't have a smart TV, just regular HD 1080 P and DirecTV. Another contract, one year left on DirecTV and I will be looking into Internet TV or something. I have the Google home device, and Google Chromecast app thing but my "smart" computer friend hooked it up through my phone and I don't think that's right. I could be wrong but I think I was supposed to be able to control it strictly with the Google home thing and see everything on my TV but I only control it with my phone and see it on my phone. So with my phone, and Bixby, still can't figure out how to scroll and search and everything on the Netflix app. Just when it is going, I can do the basic play, stop, pause, etc. with black screen on my phone and just those buttons. I'm not very good/knowledgeable with all this as it's kind of difficult when you have never put your actual hands on them so you have to rely on others so much. It is so so frustrating! And Dragon, they were going towards the route of helping people in my situation until about summer of 2012 and they switch to helping lazy businesspeople who want to use their hands less and less and they pretty much said screw the disabled community. But it is sadly still the best option at $600 a pop with a very limited amount of things you can even do.

Constellation

I would love a Samsung TV. Like I said, 75 inch 3D would be awesome and I've been trying and trying but will never be able to get one. I can never get to the theater for 3D movies because they show most of them at night and I can get help to go at night. I contacted Samsung to see if they help with any kind of charity, and of course not. When family and my friend spends time with me and watches movies and TV with me, TV isn't really big enough to see it well-known matter where you are but I know they could with that one I really want. But like everything, just keep dreaming just keep dreaming and wake up and come back to reality where you get disabled young and you are stuck being poor.

The reason I suggested dragon is it is at least possible to give the mouse verbal commands. I have not worked with it much since my great aunt passed away. I believe it was version 11. After a stroke took her hands from her she was able to communicatie with it until they day she died and it really helped our family.

The Google Home - Android TV setups I have seen are more frustration than they are worth. You can search within Netflix but the search is very poor. It seems to search the titles and descriptions but does not understand the results well enough and the result is a lot of scrolling before you get what you want. Since there is no way to scroll without the remote or a keyboard and mouse I cannot recommend it.

Amazon's Fire stick is worse. You cannot search within an app, unless you want it to search Amazon Prime video. I have not been able to get it to pause or resume except with the remote.

On the bright side of things voice control is much more widespread today than it was a few years ago and the things it can do contiune to improve. I really do hope that someday you have as much access to the digital world as I do. You might never master a stick shift but if things continue to improve at the rate they are imporoving now you will be able to have your car drive you to a ball game and navigate the stadium in a chair you control. Right now I just wish the voice assistants were smart enough to play a few movies on Netflix without you having to call for help.

Constellation

before my accident, I had a stick mastered I loved that and miss it. Unfortunately, driverless cars are not very feasible financially and probably never will be. I was thinking about Amazon, but not anymore. All these problems because I was the passenger in a vehicle where driver passed out and drove into a building doing 70 mph but whatever it's my fault so now all the struggles I have to go through. Seems like technology, like this dang phone, jingle some hope right above your head and then when it seems like you might be able to finally try it, they yank it away with a great big "ha ha just joking!" The more lazy people get, the more it MIGHT help out! Of course, this whole thing where everyone thinks they are professional photographers and want to share everything they do in their life crap so phones focus on cameras... Doesn't help at all! It's just annoying!