cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

4k content on youtube

I have a QN75Q60R television. Only a few 4K videos will play on the Samsung television YouTube app. The rest will only play at 1440p. When I switch to 4K it freezes with patterns and colored video fragments. Yet when I play the same 4k videos on youtube through the Amazon Firestick YouTube app, no problems. Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: 4k content on youtube

What are some 4K videos you're trying to watch on the YouTube app?

Highlighted
Asteroid

Almost all of them. If you type 4k in YouTube, it's at least the first 4 or 5. One is on Costa Rica, one on the earth from space,one on the Aurora Borealis, etc.

Highlighted
Halo

Your TV OS may be slightly different than mine, but it sounds like your Internet connection from your TV may not be as good as the connetion from your firestick.  Can you view 4K/HDR content from other apps?

Do you have a "Device Care" option in the Support section of your Settings menu? If so, run it and go to the section with the manual tests and run the connection test.

The other thing you can try is to reinstall the YouTube app.  Good luck.  The available 4K content is impressive and a great way to show off the TV.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Connection tests are fine, other 4k content works on other sources work. Its certain YouTube videos on the Samsung TV YouTube app. All other YouTube apps on xbox, ps4, and firestick work fine.

Highlighted
Halo

Other than reinstalling The YouTube app (you may not be able to delete it, but there should be a reinstall option) or unplugging the TV for 30 seconds and plugging it back in to see if a reboot helps. I'm out of ideas.  It's also possible that YouTube will push out an update to the app that will resolve the issue.

You'll likely get the "Reset Smart Hub" and "Reset the TV" suggestions from elsewhere, but it's a huge waste of time to have to set everything up again - and there's no guarantee it will work.  

Maybe someone else with a Q60R can weigh in on this.  Might be good to put Q60R in the title of your thread.

Hope things work out for you.

Highlighted

Can you try selecting those 4K videos on YouTube App again and check the following?

Select the More icon (3 vertical dots) > check that the quality is 4K (2160p 4K) > then scroll to the end and select Stats for nerds

The Current / Optimal Res should both say 3840x2160 at x fps, which is the case on my Q60R while playing the Costa Rica 4K video. If your current resolution does not match the optimal resolution, then it's likely your network environment.