Original topic:

5Ghz Wifi keeps disconnecting on TV

(Topic created: 05-23-2022 06:12 AM)
useraRt6VcKCjI
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Hi

I have a 55 inch BU8000. My router has a double antenna and broadcasts 2.4 and 5Ghz signals over the same SSID. The TV connects to the 5Ghz one but keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I tried changing the SSID for the 2.4 signal and connected it to the TV and the connection is stable now. Should I contact Samsung about this issue or is it normal? I just got the TV 4 days ago.

0 Likes
7 Replies
MrPhotoMoto
Comet
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Make sure there isn't an update available for your TV first.
0 Likes
useraRt6VcKCjI
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I checked. My TV is up to date.

0 Likes
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Hello! Yes, this is normal as our TV is not compatible with the 5GHz channel. You can connect to it sometimes but will have connection issues. 

0 Likes
useraRt6VcKCjI
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

The specs however say that the TV supports WIFI 5, which supports 5Ghz. Either the TV has a problem or the marketing is bs.

0 Likes
useraRt6VcKCjI
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

From the manual: "To minimize interruptions, we recommend a wireless access point that uses a Ghz frequency. 5 Ghz may not be available depending on the model."

So saying that your TVs are not compatible with 5Ghz says one of two things: either you don't know what you're talking about or you just wanted to end the discussion.

0 Likes
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I'm pretty sure your TV does support 5Ghz bandwidth. I don't have issues on my end as it remains connected to it.

0 Likes
user6uMAGhZgnN
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have this issue on my Q60a (2021 model) -- similar network setup with dual band 2.4/5Ghz

The tv would usually connect to the 5Ghz network and it would work fine when connected (so this tv clearly supports 5Ghz). But then randomly, and increasingly more often, tv would just drop the WiFi connection for no reason while the tv was on and streaming content (not any sort of a standby issue). I don't have connectivity problems with any other device on my network. I tried forcing it to 2.4Ghz band and experienced the same disconnecting problem.

My solution was to use a MoCA adapter and connect via wired LAN. This turned out to be an easy and not very expensive solution as I already had coax cable located at this tv. But it's disappointing that this was necessary. TV started having this problem only a few months after purchasing. Seems like the antennas on these tvs are either experiencing some kind of interference from internal components or they are just failing.

I posted about this here but the moderator reply was not at all helpful. That post has since been deleted or archived. Bookmark points to a page that tells me "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action." A very poor overall experience but at least the MoCA adapter turned out to be a fine workaround for me. I'd say give that a try, especially if your network is compatible and already have that room wired with coax. The adapter runs about $60. Only other alternative I considered was a streaming stick or Apple TV but didn't want to waste an HDMI input so went MoCA.

0 Likes