JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

8000 series (2018) TV Ethernet speed

(Topic created: 03-04-2020 09:15 AM)
rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Does anyone know what speed the Ethernet port works on this series tv?

0 Likes
userHTZTvCnW1U
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Don't wast money to by Cat 7 cable, since the tv Ethernet port only support 100mbs. I am so disappointed, in 2020 Samsung still use this crab port, even in Q70 TV. 

0 Likes
RosieGr
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

How are you guys getting your internet speeds on the TV? is it through the Internet app at speedtest.net?  I have a 1gig fiber connection and I'm only getting 30-40mbps over ethernet (Internet app- speedtest.net). And when I plug that SAME LAN cable into my PC, I get over 900mbps. 

rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@RosieGr wrote:

How are you guys getting your internet speeds on the TV? is it through the Internet app at speedtest.net?  I have a 1gig fiber connection and I'm only getting 30-40mbps over ethernet (Internet app- speedtest.net). And when I plug that SAME LAN cable into my PC, I get over 900mbps. 

My 8000 series TV is connected to my dual band wifi router. Max throughput of 150 Mbps on a good day. Connecting to 2.4Ghz is verrry slow. 5GHz is much better. I haven't had the opportunity to connect via Ethernet. 

0 Likes
RosieGr
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Are you using the TV's Internet app and going to speedtest.net to test the bandwidth? As much as I love using ethernet more than wifi, I'll have to test the 5ghz over on our 1gig fiber connection. Thx.

0 Likes
rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@RosieGr wrote:

Are you using the TV's Internet app and going to speedtest.net to test the bandwidth? As much as I love using ethernet over wifi, I'll have to test the 5ghz over on our 1gig fiber connection. Thx.

I have used Speedtest via the browser and Netflix. As well Wi-Fi Hot Spots.

If you can have wired connection best to use wired. 

RosieGr
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Curious. Why would I use a maximum 85mbps ethernet connection if I can connect to wifi at a much higher speed? Thx.

0 Likes
rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@RosieGr wrote:

Curious. Why would I use a maximum 85mbps ethernet connection if I can connect to wifi at a much higher speed? Thx.

Sorry I misunderstood. I agree if you can pull down a higher speed over wifi on the 5GHz band that would be preferable. Seems strange the TV's Ethernet card can't do better. 

0 Likes
RosieGr
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Thanks. The reason I was asking, even though wifi would be faster in this case, maybe the latency/connection issues would make it less desirable even though ethernet is slower? I don't know.  The ethernet interfaces used in almost all 4k TV's is only 100mbps which is VERY OLD technology. I'm very surprised and annoyed.

0 Likes
rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@RosieGr wrote:

Thanks. The reason I was asking, even though wifi would be faster in this case, maybe the latency/connection issues would make it less desirable even though ethernet is slower? I don't know.  The ethernet interfaces used in almost all 4k TV's is only 100mbps which is VERY OLD technology. I'm very surprised and annoyed.

I would like to add, my TV is in another part of the house, a ways from the wifi router. I suspect performance would be better if my TV was closer to the router. My internet service technically caps out at 600Mbps. I get 640 Mbps on my iMac which is in a room next to the router. I get 400-500Mbps using my iPad and 200-300Mbps using my iPhone SE in the TV room.

Originally  I was connecting to my router using the 5GHz band because the 2.4Ghz was so slow. I have since added an ISP provided MESH network and gone back to a dual band setup yielding slightly higher speeds on the TV now with the assistance of a pod(wifi extender) located in the TV room.

As far as latency, I haven't experienced much problem with the wifi setup. The TV does a good job bringing in 4K services like Amazon Prime, Netflix, YouTube and the Apple TV app. Even when on the targeted 5GHz setup the TV performed fine in the 70 - 100Mbps range..

I now have an Xi6 wireless TV player, from my cable provider, which benefits from the mesh setup. The TV player struggled when  connected directly to the main wifi router two rooms away. So maybe wifi performance on the TV isn't totally out of line considering the location.

Ethernet does sound disappointing.

0 Likes
rickatk
Halo
Options
HD and UHD TVs

To add to my earlier post, I have since added MESH wifi expander pods, improving my tv wifi connection. Additionally I now have a 1 Gigabit internet service and my network enjoys overall stability as other users in the house use their devices including multiple tv's. 

My 8000 series tv connects to a Docsis 3.1 router via MESH pods and works very well. The connection is based on dual band blended SSID, no more directed single 5Ghz ban. Apple TV and Apple Music, Netflix, Prime TV and You Tube all work really great!

0 Likes