JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Any way to completely clear TV memory?

(Topic created: 03-06-2021 11:01 AM)
userX2f97heXgW
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have a UN55MU630D (firmware 1290.3) and the available memory is stuck a 0 KB.  There are several issues that appeared because of this:

• Volume control not working
  • Unable to save settings (e.g. changes in brightness, sharpness, etc)
  • Unable to download new apps
  • Unable to update existing apps

Among other things, makes it appear that the remote is no longer working, but in actuality it's the TV not responding to it.  I am at a point where the TV does not immediately respond to the remote, except to turn it on.  

One way I'm able to get to the smart hub is when the TV first turns on.  If I need to get to it again, I hold down the "home" button for 10 seconds to bring up "remote management".  Cancel "remote management" and the smart hub appears and I can navigate with no issue - so I know the remote is fully functional.  Outside of this, the TV doesn't respond to most remote control commands.

To turn off the TV I need to hold down the power button and the TV restarts.  For about 5-10 seconds when the TV first turns on it does respond to the remote (so I can adjust the volume), but I can also turn off the TV.

Overall, nothing I have been able to do can clear the memory of the TV:

• Factory reset
  • Smarthub reset
  • Deleting apps
  • Updating firmware (seemed to accelerate the problems)

When I started deleting apps I was able to free up a couple KB, but now all of the memory is used up again and all that's left are the built in apps which I can't delete.

There's no "clear cache" option for the apps and even with a USB stick installed I am unable to install or update any app.

So in the end, I need some kind of method to completely wipe the memory of the TV because factory resets don't do it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Please cold boot the television using the following steps.

Turn on the TV.

Press and hold Power on the remote until the television turns off and back on.
Reconnect to your WiFi network.

If you continue to have issues with your storage, please send the serial number for the TV to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
15 Replies
userdJUovP4aig
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I am having the same issues.

0 Likes
uservzmCNwCUZd
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I'm having this problem too.  I was able to free a little space by deleting all of the delete-able apps, but like all other solutions, I expect it not to last.

Constellation said that you can install a USB drive, factory reset, and save updates and apps to the USB.  I guess I'll try that next.

If the problem results from lack of storage, do you have any idea why it took three years?  Is debris just piling up in there?  I guess the factory reset really doesn't delete it all.

userX2f97heXgW
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

For over the first 2 years the TV was good, worked with no issues.  Then a little over 6 months ago I noticed parts of the screen turning purple.  Purple spots, I come to find, are potentially from overdriving the backlight LEDs by keeping the backlight to max.  So keeping it between 10-15 has at least slowed the progression of purple (since it's out of warranty they won't cover this repair).

But it was also about that time I noticed that the volume control stopped working.  I would see the numbers move, but it would then "bounce back" to the original volume and never change.  I did the usual which was reset the remote (which never worked) and factory reset the TV (which worked for a couple days).  Then I discovered an easier method of simply turning off the TV, waiting a couple minutes, then turning it back on frequently fixed it (but not all the time).

So I lived with a purple-spotted, volume-bouncing TV for a couple months, but also noticed the memory slowly reaching 0 KB even though I wasn't installing anything extra.  I would delete apps or factory reset, gain some KBs, and the volume would work for a couple weeks.  Then the available memory would reach 0 KB, delete the rest of the apps I could (or factory reset) and installed a USB drive.  That worked for a couple more weeks.

Then this latest firmware arrived (1290.3), and almost overnight the entire TV became useless.  Couldn't free any KBs, apps would not install after a factory reset, volume not working again.  Then the home button and other functions stopped working when using the remote.  Couldn't install apps even onto the USB drive, and, well, everything else I described in my original post.

So here I am, with a "smart" TV watching movies and YouTube videos on a laptop instead of my UHD TV.  It appears my only options are to pay for repairs or get a new one...for a 3 year old TV.

userX2f97heXgW
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

It's been a week with no response, so I'm assuming the answer is "it can't be done".  I would have thought there would be some way to wipe the memory and start fresh, kind of like reformatting a PC.  Perhaps booting the TV off of a USB drive and wipe and install the firmware.

The odd thing is I'm having no issue with the volume now... go figure.  No apps work, can't download anything, it doesn't save settings, and the TV doesn't immediately respond to the remote, but at least I can turn it on and change volume.

0 Likes
userX2f97heXgW
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

It is interesting to see how the issues with this TV change slightly over time.  I used to be able to turn on the TV and the sources would be available long enough for me to switch to either TV or Xbox.  Now, I turn on the TV and it's simply a black screen.  I then need to hold down the power button to restart and then the different sources appear.

SmartHub still doesn't work and I can't load any new apps, but now the built-in apps reappeared on the home screen.  It's just netflix and prime which I don't watch.

I'm still hopeful there's some kind of fix for this.  If this was a PC I would just reformat the hard drive and start fresh.  Wish there was some way to do that on this TV.

0 Likes
userX2f97heXgW
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Another thing I never noticed before was found on my wireless router.  When looking at my "attached devices" in the Netgear web interface, the Samsung TV displays with the name of UN49MU7000.  My TV is a UN55MU630D, so I'm not sure where it would get that model number.  It doesn't appear anywhere I can check on the TV itself.

I had the TV set to automatically update the firmware (which it did in January).  Could this be a case there the wrong firmware was installed on my TV?  Or the router is just displaying an arbitrary model number?

0 Likes
userX2f97heXgW
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Add another message I didn't see before; when attempting to download an app from the "app store" on the TV, the "install" option is greyed out, and just below the app name is a small message stating, "Smart Hub is being updated. Please try again later".  The message only appears when viewing the details of an app.  This message never goes away no matter how long I wait, and it appears on every single app I try to download.

In my search for solutions, I've come across a lot of posts with very similar issues with no real solutions.  For some people factory resets work, and for others nothing works (I unfortunately fall in the second category).  I also found posts as far back as 2018 on "JU series" TVs (2015) with the exact same problems I've described.  I have an "MU series" (2017) and my problems started in 2020 (interesting that these problems pop up after 3 years of use across multiple TV series).

Either way, it looks like a problem that has been happening for quite some time with no real solution, but I'm still hopeful.

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Please cold boot the television using the following steps.

Turn on the TV.

Press and hold Power on the remote until the television turns off and back on.
Reconnect to your WiFi network.

If you continue to have issues with your storage, please send the serial number for the TV to this PM Link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
userX2f97heXgW
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Thank you for the response to my post. 

Holding down the power to restart the TV did not help.  I do use that method daily to simply get the TV to work.  Sometimes when I turn on the TV it's just a black screen (I can tell the backlight goes on because of the light bleed at the corners of the screen).  I press and hold the power to reboot the TV, then the picture starts to work and the Smart Hub appears long enough to change sources if needed.

I forwarded my serial number to the PM link.

0 Likes