JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Apple TV won't detect

(Topic created: 07-21-2020 05:42 AM)
snolsen
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I have an NU8000 65" and an AppleTV. Until recenlty, no probems at all. The I sarted to notice that I could not turn on the AppleTV usung my smart remote. The "Power" button on the screen showed it being "Pressed". The Apple TV would not turn on.

I have the following equipment and software versions,

Apple TV  -  Model A1842  -  tvOS 13.0

Samsung TV  -  NU8000  -  Version 1270

I have done a complete rest of my AppleTV, moved my Apple TV to different HDMI port to no avail.  Any ideas? Did Apple update my firmware recently?

TIA

27 Replies
FarmerBob
Halo
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

@userwqH9D9I1gT 

Thanks for the instruction manual. But several of the main actions I don't have those options, like "OTT" to select or screens don't present as you describe. We must have two different TVs or Firmwares. At one time I realized that you needed to "trick" it and select an input that you would not think would pertain to the ATV4K. But it worked. 

But changing the name to Apple TV on the input, "HDMI 3", did the trick.

Although if you get to the right places and input Apple, you get all kinds of model numbers and variations, but not the :green_apple:TV 4K. Which is a "model #, 5. But 1-4.

0 Likes
userIiquKaJSx3
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

I literally just signed in to here to give your response a like. This worked like a charm and now the input is detected as an Apple Tv and does not say unknown. That was what was bothering me.

Thank you so much!

0 Likes
userW3yPqFWp7k
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

After many hours I solved how to avoid "unknown device".
I tested various HDMI cables, inputs in the TV and also reset my TV. Nothing fixed this.

After a while I chose to keep the "unknown device". In the list of all devices that would represent my Apple TV, I chose digital box. Then I named my device Apple TV, and attached it to my home screen menu. Since I named it "Apple TV" I got my logo back and everything was as usual again.

Hope this helps you!

0 Likes
userB09oux7Ynb
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This is what fixed my apple TV recognition issues:

Unplug the apple TV HDMi from the TV. 

Power off and unplug the Samsung TV and keep off for 10 seconds. 

Power on the Samsung TV.

Reconnect the apple TV and turn on by pressing a button on the apple remote. 

The TV will then go back through the identification process but will now detect the device as an apple tv. 

SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

We're glad that you're up and running!  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userkhpjdQ2eBS
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

The problem is that after a while, a few days usually the Apple TV logo becomes unknown and selecting it as a source goes to a search for signal screen, which fails despite the Apple TV being on. If you go through universal setup again it sets it all up correctly again. I though maybe it was when the Apple TV slept so I set it to never sleep but that does not make any difference. 

0 Likes
TV_princess
Astronaut
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

Rename the HDMI port to AppleTV in the smart bar on the Samsung. 

I think the Samsung doesn’t play well with the ascii character Apple uses in the CEC identifier

userHtrsgSgqkw
Constellation
Options
4K, 8K and Other TVs

This did the trick for me. Thank you very much for the idea!

0 Likes