cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Apple TV won't detect

Can you position the AppleTV device in front of the TV and see if TV can control it?

Highlighted
Asteroid

I have the Apple TV in front of the TV - no dice!  I also tried to 'learn' the remote through the AppleTV device and the apple tv does not register/recognize any of the OneRemote commands.  I have an older samsung tv that does work - so I know it's not an issue with the AppleTV.

Highlighted

By any chance did you rename your Apple TV to something other than the default  "Apple TV"?

Highlighted
Constellation

Thanks 

It helped me to fix the problem.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Super helpful. Thanks.

This is what worked for me. I had to do BOTH of the first 2:

1. Went out and got an 'HDMI 3' rated cable ($10)

2. Went into Samsung preferences and enabled all 3 HDMI standards (HDMI 1, 2, 3)

3. Don't forgot to follow the earlier advice and enable CEC on both your Apple TV and your Samsung TV

Sorry I didn't post step-by-step instructions.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Not sure if this applies to this convo. But my new Apple TV 4K won't show picture on screen unless something else (like my Nintendo Switch), is powered on at the same time, the moment I turn off the Nintendo the screen goes black on my Apple TV. They are both on the same HDMI switcher which is on the same input. I didn't gave any of these issues with my Roku. Driving me crazy 

Highlighted
Constellation

Ohh my god, thank you SO MUCH! 

This has been driving me mad for so long, and even though I had been down some of this road before, I never thought of choosing the OTT option!

I really, really appreciate your nice and detailed write-up here, because even though the "HDMI 4" option did get me to my Apple TV, that and it's generic icon just drove me insane :-)

Thank you!

Highlighted
Astronaut

After many hours I solved how to avoid "unknown device".
I tested various HDMI cables, inputs in the TV and also reset my TV. Nothing fixed this.

After a while I chose to keep the "unknown device". In the list of all devices that would represent my Apple TV, I chose digital box. Then I named my device Apple TV, and attached it to my home screen menu. Since I named it "Apple TV" I got my logo back and everything was as usual again.

Hope this helps you!

Highlighted
Astronaut

This is what fixed my apple TV recognition issues:

Unplug the apple TV HDMi from the TV. 

Power off and unplug the Samsung TV and keep off for 10 seconds. 

Power on the Samsung TV.

Reconnect the apple TV and turn on by pressing a button on the apple remote. 

The TV will then go back through the identification process but will now detect the device as an apple tv. 

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

We're glad that you're up and running!  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.