Original topic:

Audio Cable to Mirror HP Laptop to Samsung Flat Screen?

(Topic created: 06-23-2021 08:18 AM)
userm0PWWwpqEL
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Hi. I have a 2012 Samsung Flat Screen Model # UN32EH4003F. Picture is great! No complaints. Since it's one of those models from RIGHT BEFORE all TV's came with Internet for streaming capability, I have cable, which I'm happy with, but I'd like to stream movies from my HP Laptop on to my TV. I purchased an HDMI to DVI cable and am able to mirror the picture, but not the audio! The audio only comes through the laptop! I believe I need to run a second audio cable from my laptop to my TV, based on an error message I get on my laptop whenever I hook up the HDMI to DVI cable ( which I wish I could upload the Print Screen of here.)  It reads as follows, 
'An HDMI to DVI display connection has been detected. In order to hear audio on your HDMI-based TV or display, you will need to have a separate audio connection from your computer sound outputs to your TV or audio equipment.' 
My question is, which inputs on both the laptop AND the TV do I use? Do I use the headphone jack on the laptop? The back of my TV only has
a. 2 HDMI inputs (1 for cable box and 1 for DVD Player)
b. EX-LINK (Don't know what that is.)
c. ANT IN
d. RCA cable inputs 
e. USB input
That's it. Which input do I use for the audio cable??
Thanks. 

0 Likes
5 Replies
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Good afternoon. The following image id the back connections panel on your television. The audio cables will connect to the indicated L/R Audio Input RCA connectors.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userm0PWWwpqEL
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Hi Lou. 
Thanks for that. So the laptop end should go in to the headphone jack, or something else? If so, then I'll need to purchase a cable that goes from the headphone jack to the RCA cable inputs, or if not, then buy an adapter?
Thanks! 

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I can't really answer for the PC with accuracy. If a headphone jack is the only audio output, then you will need a cable that fits that connection. I would check with the PC manufacturer to ask why the HDMI does not provide an audio channel, though.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userm0PWWwpqEL
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

It didn't work. I purchased the 3.5 headphone jack to RCA cable, hooked it up, and I still don't get audio on my TV! Something the HP tech said was that the DVI to HDMI cable may cancel it out? That you somehow can't have both cables operating simultaneously? He may have been right. Not sure. I do still have a SATA and USB input on my laptop so maybe a SATA to HDMI or USB to HDMI cable might carry both video AND audio and just forgo the 2nd audio cable? Just spitballing here. 
Thanks. 

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

At this point, I would suggest a DVI to component adapter to potentially resolve the issue since I could take care of both the picture and incoming sound from the laptop.  Unfortunately, we don't offer a Samsung branded adapter, but maybe one of your fellow community members can offer some suggestions.  

0 Likes