JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Dark Shadow in vertical columns in top center of my screen

(Topic created: 08-04-2021 06:12 AM)
Shadow Joe
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have a model UN76MU800DF which is just about 3 years old. I have been seeing a shadow appear and getting darker in the top center of the screen. There are a couple of darker spots in random areas on the screen as well. I have no external devices attached to the screen except a soundbar. All video content is live streamed. The TV is plugged directly into the wall and not through a surge protector. I have run the self diagnostics and picture test with no improvement. The firmware is up to date.

I have seen other posts of this nature, it seems as though this is a known defect of the Samsung TVs. I a quite unhappy because at the time I bought this the 76" was the largest available and hence the price was quite high. I would think a TV like this should last more than 3 years.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
HD and UHD TVs

We would be more than happy to assist with this. Could you send me a private message with your full model and serial number?  It's out of warranty, but I would like to see what we may be able to do to assist: http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in context

9 Replies
Shadow Joe
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Here is what the shadow looks like....dark spots.jpg

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
HD and UHD TVs

We would be more than happy to assist with this. Could you send me a private message with your full model and serial number?  It's out of warranty, but I would like to see what we may be able to do to assist: http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in context

Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Looks like the panel is going out. If it's out of warranty the cost to repair or replace will be up to you. If would cost a lot to repair and imo the money would be better spent towards a new TV.
Shadow Joe
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

One would expect that Samsung could design a $2400 TV which could last more than 24-30 months...

This **bleep**!

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
HD and UHD TVs
I agree that top end TV's of any brand should come with more than a one year warranty.
Shadow Joe
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Based on the number of similar complaints, it seems as though Samsung doesn't really care.

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
HD and UHD TVs
This is an issue inherent in any back or edge lit TV unfortunately. That's why I switched to OLED. You may want to take a look into those.
user9QJAtRtpkW
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Looking at all the replies on this topic & other topics on dark shadows, I feel fortunate that mine lasted this long.  I have a UN55JS7000 that I bought Feb 2016, and it just now started to have a dark shadow on the top third of the display.  It has seen regular daily use, and the software is up to date (1560.0).  The closest service center is 36 miles away.  I read on another forum where a Costco salesperson said he was aware of the Samsung 7-series TV's having these problems.  Is this true?  Samsung - please assist.

IMG_9934.jpg

The shadow is darker than it appears in the picture above.

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Supernova
Options
HD and UHD TVs
What is your brightness set at? HDR brightness? It's typically better to spend the money on a repair towards a new TV because it will be a lot. Have you tried a pixel refresh?
0 Likes