JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How do I stop my Kids from accessing Youtube on then TV?

(Topic created: 04-12-2019 04:01 PM)
userB6M3TSWdWn
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I want to delete the YouTube app from Smarthub on my TV.  I do not want my kids accessing it.  The delete option is disabled for this app in the menu.  If it cannot be deleted, how can I at least disable it from working?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Stephanie
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

After further research, it looks like the youtube app for this model is a pre-installed app. Pre-installed applications cannot be deleted. 

However, as a parent myself, I understand the need, not wanting them on Youtube. My kids drive me insane with all the different videos they watch, and some are just downright not appropriate for their age group. You can set up parental controls on the television to lock specific applications and prevent them from watching content that is not rated at their age level!

Check this out: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00082484 This link will guide you through those steps of getting this all set up. I hope this helps.  🙂 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

8 Replies
SamsungTam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Can you provide the model number of the TV? Also, have you checked for updates on the device as well? It is possible the option to delete the app is blocked because the TV is not up to date. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userB6M3TSWdWn
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

The model number is UN55NU8000F.  The device is up to date with the latest updates.  The Delete option is greyed out for some apps and not others.  I tried selecting the greyed out 'Delete', and get a message that says: "The basic apps cannot be deleted".  So it looks like this is by design that Samsung does not want users to delete the YouTube app.  All I can do for now is lock the app with a PIN code.  However, I would rather be able to delete the app.

Solution
Samsung_Stephanie
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

After further research, it looks like the youtube app for this model is a pre-installed app. Pre-installed applications cannot be deleted. 

However, as a parent myself, I understand the need, not wanting them on Youtube. My kids drive me insane with all the different videos they watch, and some are just downright not appropriate for their age group. You can set up parental controls on the television to lock specific applications and prevent them from watching content that is not rated at their age level!

Check this out: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00082484 This link will guide you through those steps of getting this all set up. I hope this helps.  🙂 

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

GoogleSamsung666
Cosmic Ray
Options
HD and UHD TVs

That's ridiculous, especially considering Samsung does not seem to have the option for enabling/activating any parental control pin at LEAST for accessing apps. something on my TV.  My 5 year-old knows how to access it & is good at being sneaky. I've taught him not to be that way, or so I thought but he knows how to get it turned off before I get back to where the TV is within viewing. He's not watching  something really horrible such as someone's head being blown off or GTA but I'm hearing about Sirenhead, Amongus, Minecraft & Roblox which to ME, are bad enough & as such, things I do not want him having ANYthing to do with until he's old enough to make that decision on his own.

Options
HD and UHD TVs

@userB6M3TSWdWn wrote:

I want to delete the YouTube app from Smarthub on my TV.  I do not want my kids accessing it.  The delete option is disabled for this app in the menu.  If it cannot be deleted, how can I at least disable it from working?

You should try this tutorial:

https://technastic.com/delete-apps-on-samsung-smart-tv/

0 Likes
Options
HD and UHD TVs

You can go to the App setting and lock any app with a password. I have done the same and installed YouTube Kids on my TV.

userjMFgrzbPWf
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

What’s happening with this? I’ve been a loyal Samsung customer for years but won’t be buying another Samsung TV until this sort of thing is fixed: I don’t want my kids watching YouTube.

lljamie
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I'd like to see an update on this as well.

I have one of the Tizen based TVs, a TU-8000. I don't have kids; just a touch of OCD. I'm tired of the TV randomly installing new apps that I will never use and can't delete. Just a couple days ago it installed "Spotify" (which I keep deleting, and it keeps coming back) and a few others, including what appears to be a movie app that's entirely in Spanish. I'm guessing on that one because I don't speak Spanish. I can't delete these or about a dozen other apps I don't want and will never ever use.

I tried that tutorial linked above and it doesn't work on my TV. Even the developer mode part didn't work. I even updated my Samsung account to be included in the developer program just in case that was a requirement. But even if I get this procedure to work, I'd rather have an official way to delete apps and prevent new ones from getting installed. Otherwise I'm going to have to do it often, as evidenced by the "Spotify" app that I've deleted four times now.

0 Likes