JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

FIOS TV One does not recognize UN65HU8500 TV

(Topic created: 04-12-2021 09:22 AM)
SilverTiger
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

We have a new Verizon FIOS TV One box.  I have it connected to the HDMI3 (MHL) port on the TV as it's the only HDMI that supports HDCP 2.2 which is required by the FIOS box.  The FIOS box passes all the "trouble shooter" tests, but says the box itself is not properly configured.  However, when I try to switch from 1080P to 2160P, it refuses saying the TV is not compatible.  TV is a 2015 UN65HU8500 which was a pretty high end model in 2015, and I think it should work.

Any comments or ideas appreciated.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SilverTiger
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Yes, the software is up to date.

I did get this to work:

1. HDMI3 is an "MHL" port.  You can google MHL to see what that is if you don't know.  This is the only port on a standard "HU" series that supports HDCP 2.2 which is pretty much a requirement for 4K.  Back in 2015, the MHL standard only supported HD (1080p).  Connected to this port, the Verizon box DOES see the HDCP 2.2, but refuses to go to 2160P.

2. In order to get the HU to cooperate with the Verizon FIOS "TV One" (Arris 4100), it must see HDCP 2.2.  So, I had to purchase a HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 converter.  After  a lot of digging, I found out that HDMI 1, 2 and 4 DO support HDCP 1.4 on the HU.  The converter box is between the Verizon box and the TV's HDMI port (in my case HDMI1).

3. You MUST turn on "UHD Color" for 4K to actually work on the HU series.  This is in "Picture" settings.  You have to unplug whatever is in that port, turn on UHD Color, the TV will reboot, then plug the HDMI cable back in.  You CANNOT turn this on for HDMI 3.  It's "greyed out" and you can't select it.

4. If you bought the "Evolution Kit" for your TV, ALL the ports should support HDCP 2.2.  I did not, and can no longer find one.  Even if I could, I don't think I would spend $400 on it when the converter is $50 or so.

View solution in context

0 Likes
2 Replies
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Is the software up to date on the television?  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
Solution
SilverTiger
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Yes, the software is up to date.

I did get this to work:

1. HDMI3 is an "MHL" port.  You can google MHL to see what that is if you don't know.  This is the only port on a standard "HU" series that supports HDCP 2.2 which is pretty much a requirement for 4K.  Back in 2015, the MHL standard only supported HD (1080p).  Connected to this port, the Verizon box DOES see the HDCP 2.2, but refuses to go to 2160P.

2. In order to get the HU to cooperate with the Verizon FIOS "TV One" (Arris 4100), it must see HDCP 2.2.  So, I had to purchase a HDCP 2.2 to HDCP 1.4 converter.  After  a lot of digging, I found out that HDMI 1, 2 and 4 DO support HDCP 1.4 on the HU.  The converter box is between the Verizon box and the TV's HDMI port (in my case HDMI1).

3. You MUST turn on "UHD Color" for 4K to actually work on the HU series.  This is in "Picture" settings.  You have to unplug whatever is in that port, turn on UHD Color, the TV will reboot, then plug the HDMI cable back in.  You CANNOT turn this on for HDMI 3.  It's "greyed out" and you can't select it.

4. If you bought the "Evolution Kit" for your TV, ALL the ports should support HDCP 2.2.  I did not, and can no longer find one.  Even if I could, I don't think I would spend $400 on it when the converter is $50 or so.

0 Likes