cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Constellation

HDR is too dark and unwatchable

I recently purchased the 85" Class Q8DT QLED 4K UHD HDR Smart TV (2020) from Costco and watching content through the Apps on the TV. I've noticed that HDR content is too dark and impossible to see. I've updated the software to 1403.1. Does anyone know of a solution to this before I return the TV? Seems like a Samsung issue with HDR. Other than buying an external Apple TV and turning HDR off, I haven't found any other solution. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: HDR is too dark and unwatchable

Using the remote that came with your smart TV, navigate to settings/preferences > anything relating to "screen" > brightness/image options
Constellation

Brightness is at 50 (max).

Asteroid

I also have the same problem with 2020 Q8DT, way too dark with HDR content.  Worked with SAMSUNG Support Tech and there apparently is nothing wrong that they see and that really it is the NETFLIX or most other providers formatting.  There are no settings at all that really do anything to fix this and we (with SAMSUNG) looked at everyone of them.  It may not be just a SAMSUNG issue  - and  if  you look at other manufacturers complaints, you will find the same thing....though perhaps some super bright OLED may be quite a bit better.  I have asked that SAMSUNG simply have an option to turn-off HDR because every other format on this TV,  HD, 4K, UHD,  SDR ect.  looks absolutey great.  They said that will elevate that, but who knows, as thousands of others have the exact problem....I also have loaded 1403.1 which does not fix this problem in any way.  Good luck and after spending thousands for a TV, really the TV manufactures needs to strongly complain about the various HDR formats that film producers are using whichare not all compatable with most HDR TV manufacters today - it is a real mess IMO...but SAMSUNG should just have a software setting to turn this HDR OFF...seems so simple but they will not yet fix this in some way.

Constellation

65" Q90T, Out of the box, firmware 1403.1 - HDR content is unwatchable and dark. Menus are so bright I need sunglasses. Also, noticing lots of halo, dirty screen effects and staict stripes. My former TV was an SUHD samsung and blew this craptastic Q90T quality out of the water. Likely going to return and get an OLED LG or Sony.