JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Hands free control

(Topic created on: 2/25/21 3:47 PM)
userZUKaC3Kmwf
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have a family member that is paralyzed from the neck down.  Is there an option for this person to fully control a tv with only his voice?   I see the ads for "Hi Tv" but cannot figure out if this will support his needs.  He can see, hear and speak fine, just no body functions.  Can anyone recommend a device that can help this issue?  Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
MrsThang128
Nebula
Options
HD and UHD TVs
I don't know of any recent US models that have this function. So now you have to press the button for voice commands. You can purchase your favorite Samsung tv or any brand. Then add an Amazon Echo Cube device for complete hands free control. You will need the Cube the cable box, and the tv to set this up. But everything is so simple. The Cube recognizes what tv you have and all. It would be nice if you could find a tech savvy nursing home personnel to compete this for you. They would just answer a few questions, and you're done. The whole setup may take 5 minutes, if that. I think this would be the best option for your relative and yourself.

View solution in context

0 Likes
3 Replies
MrsThang128
Nebula
Options
HD and UHD TVs
You can try and add Alexa and control the tv that way. Your family member can change the channel, switch inputs, control the power, control the volume, all without the remote. Does this family member have cable or satellite? Alexa won't change the channel if it's on an antenna unfortunately.
0 Likes
userZUKaC3Kmwf
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Thank you for your suggestion.  To further my family member situation, he is in a nursing home which at this point is closed to outside personnel.  I have seen online that Samsung has a tv that you can say "HI TV" and the tv responds to your voice.  No remote needed.  I wasn't sure if you were offering to add Alexa to the apps in the tv or purchase a separate Alexa and connecting it to the tv remotely.  My hope is keep it simple since I have to hand it over to the nursing home to set it up.  If there is a tv with "alexa" or "google" inside the tv apps that would respond to a voice command, that would be ideal.  The tv also has a cable system connected to it that hopefully the Alexa can change as well.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

0 Likes
Solution
MrsThang128
Nebula
Options
HD and UHD TVs
I don't know of any recent US models that have this function. So now you have to press the button for voice commands. You can purchase your favorite Samsung tv or any brand. Then add an Amazon Echo Cube device for complete hands free control. You will need the Cube the cable box, and the tv to set this up. But everything is so simple. The Cube recognizes what tv you have and all. It would be nice if you could find a tech savvy nursing home personnel to compete this for you. They would just answer a few questions, and you're done. The whole setup may take 5 minutes, if that. I think this would be the best option for your relative and yourself.

View solution in context

0 Likes