Original topic:

Optical (Toslink) Audio Delay fixed on PS5

(Topic created: 06-27-2021 06:32 PM)
user0iYHqRkQP8
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Audio Delay on Samsung TVs resolved with this

Many people have been having an issue with receivers and/or Soundbars with audio delay from using the optical output of the TV. I have a Logitech 5.1 computer speaker setup that uses optical for Dolby and DTS signals. 

The issue stems from the lack of an optical port on the PS5 and processing done from the TV's optical from Dolby and DTS resulting in a very annoying ~200ms delay of audio. I've researched many places of the internet and couldn't find any solutions. After many tedious hours researching again I found a solution to my specific problem. 

**Solution:** So firstly I found out that I needed to activate Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) in the tv settings to allow the ARC channel to work for HDMI 3. You then need a HDMI audio extractor w/ARC to send audio from the tv. I used this one: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H94D77V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_7YTTJ35VZ585AM8T3JZ1?_encoding=UTF8...

Setting up the surround sound on the PS5

* Sound > Audio Output > HDMI Device Type > AV Amplifier

* Number of channels (2, 5.1, or 7.1)

* Audio Format > Dolby or DTS

Setting up the HDMI ARC audio extractor

* Use the supplied USB power (I plugged it straight to the TV)

* Switch the Audio channel (2, 5.1, 7.1) to match your system)

* Switch the ARC option on the adapter

* Plug in the HDMI to the 3rd port on the TV

* Plug the other end of the HDMI to **HDMI out**

* Run an optical cable to your receiver or Soundbar

The TV should automatically switch to receiver but if not, go to Sound Output and choose receiver. Now choose expert settings from the sound menu and make sure HDMI-eARC is on Auto. Change Digital Output audio Format to **Pass-Through**. Make sure the Digital Audio delay is set to 0 as well.

That should allow the tv to send surround sound codec to the extractor without delay. This should work for similar Samsung models (Q90T) and possibly other TV's that are doing the same.

TL;DR: Setting up an HDMI-ARC audio extractor fixes a Dolby Digital and DTS audio delay through the optical port on my Q80T TV.

Let me know if this helps anyone or if you have questions.

14 Replies
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Thank you for sharing!  I know your fellow community members will appreciate this!  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userBejz9Ufmgq
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Is there a way to have the extractor work with HDMI earc out only and not need an import HDMI source? I have a Q90T and it looks like if I start with an import source to the extractor ( the one you referenced from Amazon ) I can then remove and plug it back into to the TVs HDMI 2.1 port and it works until I remove power to the extractor.  Otherwise I need to have the HDMI source go through the extractor then to the TV. 

Thanks,

0 Likes
user0iYHqRkQP8
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

So you're asking if you can get all audio from the tv to the extractor? If so, then yes you can just don't plug any external devices to the extractor. Only plug in an HDMI cable from HDMI 3 (TV) to the HDMI out port on the extractor and enable Anynet+(TV)

0 Likes
userBejz9Ufmgq
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I am still not able to get the extractor to work ( reliably ) not sure if it is related to the TV or the extractor itself. I am unable to get the TV to recognize there is an arc device connected to HDMI port 3. When I set up for HDMI audio I get a message asking me to connect an ARC enable audio device to HDMI port 3; which I have the extractor plugged in.  I have swapped HDMI cables ( all 8k related cables ), I can plug in an HDMI source to the extractor directly and it does passthrough video and optical audio. But unable to get the TV to route  audio through HDMI port 3. I have on occasion tried cycling power on the extractor and disabling and re-enabling Anynet Earc on / off even power cycling the TV and got the unit to work.  But can't repeat on demand.  Is this simply a matter of the TV not recognizing the extractor or is there a problem with the TV or extractor itself?  Unfortunately all of this effort  could be eliminated if Samsung would just resolve the audio delay issue..

0 Likes
user0iYHqRkQP8
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Are you trying to use both the input and output of the extractor? And yeah I had a few issues with the tv not sending any audio so I had to turn the tv off and power cycle the extractor. It's been fun for a few weeks now. Make sure you're using a constant power source for the extractor as well.

0 Likes
userBejz9Ufmgq
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Only used the HDMI in as a test. Setup is just using HDMI out to HDMI eARC on tv. I have a constant source for power ( not using TVs USB port) and I did try to power cycle tv and extractor. Seems like such a random sequence that can make it work or not. Would just love to know what the tv is looking for to identify a valid arc device is connected to the other end of the HDMI cable and whether the extractor device fulfills that requirement. 

0 Likes
userBejz9Ufmgq
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Resolved. The first HDMI audio extractor was defective. However, with the replacement unit I have to have an HDMI in connected to it to activate. Otherwise I get a complaint from the Q90T that I need to connect an HDMI Arc device to the port. You can also see the optical port lite up when the HDMI In is connected. I connected a never used for video Apple TV box as input and seems to work fine. No audio delay.  

0 Likes
userz4epXRssTH
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

My problem using these HDMI audio extractors is that they are HDMI 2.0 and not HDMI 2.1. So, basically you'll get audio over an optical cable, but lose 4k at 120fps... That **bleep**...

0 Likes
user0iYHqRkQP8
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

You don't need to plug the PS5 to the extractor though. It's all done through the audio return channel (ARC)

0 Likes