cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Problem with black artifacts/pixels/halo effect on 49NU8000 through various sources

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good afternoon.  I am having an issue with calibration on my Samsung 49NU8000.  When watching content either on my Samsung Apps, Cable box or Amazon Fire when there is a black background there is a halo effect around some images.  Sometimes there are lighter splotches, almost a grey, in the black areas and the halo effect is pixelized where I can see squares.

I was on with Samsung support for over a half an hour to no real avail.  The rep was dead set that it was the cable box and that I should contact my provider but I told her it also happened through the Samsung Smart Apps.  She seemed fixed on the box and asked me to unplug it and unplug the TV.  I did over and over and then she had me send pictures of the TV screen to her as it seem she didn't understand what I was talking about.

It was hard to take pictures during the day in the room the TV is in to accurately show what I was talking about but I finally was able to.  However she never talked calibration settings or mentioned changing anything within the picture options to try and reduce it.  Finally she said she would send a technician out to look at it.

I am attaching 3 different photos of the effect I am having and any thoughts would be GREALY appreciated.  I am not sure why the couple came out sideways but you can see what I am talking about.  Thanks and I hope to hear back soon.20190925_140510.jpg20190925_141001.jpg20190925_141014.jpg

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Problem with black artifacts/pixels/halo effect on 49NU8000 through various sources

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So with this being an issue across all source and all of the troubleshooting we would have had you perform has already been done, the next step would be to have a technician out to evaluate the unit.  Did the agent  over the phone set that up?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Problem with black artifacts/pixels/halo effect on 49NU8000 through various sources

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Have you played around with the backlight settings by any chance?  That could help. Are you seeing any of this when you run a picture test?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you for responding.  I have played with all the different settings and I would be glad to provide the values for each if it would help.

Support had me run the picture test on the TV.  However the picture that comes up is a bright beach shot and the only dark areas are a head of hair on one child and a black object in the distance.  The rest is nice and bright.  The issue only appears on the dark areas of media.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So with this being an issue across all source and all of the troubleshooting we would have had you perform has already been done, the next step would be to have a technician out to evaluate the unit.  Did the agent  over the phone set that up?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I apologize as I accidentally hit 'marked as solution' when the topic is not solved yet.  Could you unmark that for me, please?  Samsung said that I would be contacted within 24-48 hours by the technicians and that was as of 2PM yesterday.  I have a reference number that was sent along to me.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Could you send us a private message with the transaction number? http://bit.ly/2ihPL97

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you to all involved on this, especially SamsungJam.  I was able to send the pictures with the issues in question along to Samsung support and yesterday the team from Dish and Samsung arrived.  I was able to show them the problems and they documented and acknowledged them.  First they switched out the main board which did not rectify the issue.  Second they replaced the panel but the issue with the blacks was still present.

They apologized and said there was nothing they could do as the issue is inherent to either the programming or to how the TV displays certain images.  But there is no fault with the unit.

While I have been happy with Samsung's products in the past and especially like the feature of 4 HDMI ports this is disheartening.  If there was a way to view this when I purchased the TV it might have sent me in another direction.

It's a shame but thanks again to everyone involved.

Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I forgot to mention that since I had the problem while viewing programs of different kinds through my Fire TV, Samsung's Smart Apps as well as my cable television provider that it must be the television itself.  Again if I could have seen this ahead of time it might have stopped my purchase of the unit.