Original topic:

Black screen

(Topic created: 06-20-2021 07:49 AM)
userBP3wIHz86L
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have a 70" uhdtv that I purchased in December of 2019, I powered up the unit this morning and all I get is intermittent gray screen and intermittent audio, does Samsung stand behind their products or am I simply going to have to eat the cost?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, have you tried the troubleshooting steps below? 

1. Press the Home (Menu) button on the remote.

• If the menu appears, the TV is powered on, but is either not on the correct source or not receiving a signal.
    • If the menu does not appear, the TV may be having power issues. See our guide for TV will not turn on.
  2. Confirm the TV is set to the same source as the external device.

For instance, if your cable box is connected to HDMI 1, set the TV source to HDMI 1.

If the TV is set to the correct source, but there is still no image, unplug and reconnect the AV connections one cable at a time, from both ends of each cable. If there's any damage to the cable, it will need to be replaced.

After you've reconnected the external device, turn it off and then back on.

3. Test the HDMI cable.

Some TVs have an HDMI cable test. Some models only have this test after a software update, and older models do not have it. If your model does not have this test, or is not connected by HDMI, skip to the next step.

The test is designed for HDMI cords less than 6 feet long and may not give accurate results on longer cords.

To perform the test, make sure the TV's source is still on the HDMI setting for the cable you want to test, and then navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information > HDMI Cable Test > Start Test.

If the test says the cable is bad, replace the cable. Service is not required.

4. Test different external devices.

The final thing to rule out is the external device you're using. Try connecting a different device, or using a different source port. If you were unable to test the cable in the previous step, then try swapping the cable, too.

If the TV can display a picture in any other setup, then you've ruled the TV out as the cause of the issue. Keep trying various setups until you identify the device or cable that is not working, and troubleshoot or replace it.

If the troubleshooting steps did not help above then you have a couple of options based on your warranty. 

- If your unit was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange processes.
- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service set up. 
- If you're within the one year warranty, you can Private message me or one of our moderators with your full model and serial number to have service setup
- If you're OUT of warranty, you can use this link below to find a service center in your area. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
2 Replies
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
HD and UHD TVs
If it's no longer under warranty then repair or replace are going to be your only options.
0 Likes
Solution
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause, have you tried the troubleshooting steps below? 

1. Press the Home (Menu) button on the remote.

• If the menu appears, the TV is powered on, but is either not on the correct source or not receiving a signal.
    • If the menu does not appear, the TV may be having power issues. See our guide for TV will not turn on.
  2. Confirm the TV is set to the same source as the external device.

For instance, if your cable box is connected to HDMI 1, set the TV source to HDMI 1.

If the TV is set to the correct source, but there is still no image, unplug and reconnect the AV connections one cable at a time, from both ends of each cable. If there's any damage to the cable, it will need to be replaced.

After you've reconnected the external device, turn it off and then back on.

3. Test the HDMI cable.

Some TVs have an HDMI cable test. Some models only have this test after a software update, and older models do not have it. If your model does not have this test, or is not connected by HDMI, skip to the next step.

The test is designed for HDMI cords less than 6 feet long and may not give accurate results on longer cords.

To perform the test, make sure the TV's source is still on the HDMI setting for the cable you want to test, and then navigate to Settings > Support > Self Diagnosis > Signal Information > HDMI Cable Test > Start Test.

If the test says the cable is bad, replace the cable. Service is not required.

4. Test different external devices.

The final thing to rule out is the external device you're using. Try connecting a different device, or using a different source port. If you were unable to test the cable in the previous step, then try swapping the cable, too.

If the TV can display a picture in any other setup, then you've ruled the TV out as the cause of the issue. Keep trying various setups until you identify the device or cable that is not working, and troubleshoot or replace it.

If the troubleshooting steps did not help above then you have a couple of options based on your warranty. 

- If your unit was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange processes.
- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service set up. 
- If you're within the one year warranty, you can Private message me or one of our moderators with your full model and serial number to have service setup
- If you're OUT of warranty, you can use this link below to find a service center in your area. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes