cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userbRwkQ7Lof6
Asteroid

Samsung TV remote will not work, displays "Locked"

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Last night, apparently randomly, both the cable remote and the native Samsung remote stopped controlling the TV. Pressing any button on either remote simply displayed "Locked" in a box on the screen.

There appears to be no manual on/off switch on my TV, unbelievably (model number UN46EH5000F).

The solution was to remove the TV from the wall, unplug it for a couple of minutes, and plug it back in. Both remotes now work as they should.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Is there some key combination on the remote to solve this problem? I don't want to be in the position of having to remove the TV from the wall again if this happens again. Thanks.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Samsung TV remote will not work, displays "Locked"

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This situation is caused by a signal issue from the Set-Top-Box (STB).

The only way to resolve this is to unplug the television for 30 seconds.

If it occurs again, I would recommend speaking with your cable company regarding a replacement STB. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This situation is caused by a signal issue from the Set-Top-Box (STB).

The only way to resolve this is to unplug the television for 30 seconds.

If it occurs again, I would recommend speaking with your cable company regarding a replacement STB. 

View solution in original post

userbRwkQ7Lof6
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks. Can it be dealt with by disconnecting the STB from the TV?

userbRwkQ7Lof6
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Second question: is this a fault in the STB? That is, if I replaced the STB, would I expect the problem to go away? Or is it just the way the particular variety of STB I have works?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

No, you would have to unplug the TV form the outlet for 30 seconds. It is possible the fault is with the STB, but contacting your cable company would be the best option to get a replacement. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userbRwkQ7Lof6
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks again. I still have a question. So if I just go to my cable provider and ask for a replacement box, and they give me the same model, am I likely to have the same problem? I guess what I'm asking is: is there something wrong with my box in particular, or is there a bad interaction between that *model* of STB and my model of TV?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That is what we are tying to test out. I can't say 100% the symptom will go away by getting a replacement STB, but replacing it would help us figure out the root cause of the symptom. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userbRwkQ7Lof6
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK. I'll try that. Of course, this has happened only once in five years, so who knows.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please keep us posted.