Original topic:

Samsung TV's don't work with surround sound receivers

(Topic created: 4 weeks ago)
tconroy
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

DO NOT buy a Samsung TV if you plan to hook it up to a home AV surround sound receiver, DO NOT! Please go find the many support chat rooms talking about the issue before you buy. If you connect any Samsung TV to a receiver (Yamaha, Pioneer, etc), every time you turn the TV off, the TV will revert back to the TV speakers. You will have to go into settings, EVERY time you turn the TV back on, and set the sound to your receiver if you want a better sound. This has been an issue for 7+ years, Samsung refuses to fix.

8 Replies
NickSapienza
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs
I've never had such as issue though.
0 Likes
tconroy
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

please tell me how you don't? 
My UN55RU7100 is hooked up to a Yamaha RX=V379 receiver by HDMI and it will always default back to TV Speakers, doesn't matter what HDMI port I use. Can you please tell me what you have the TV hooked up to, how it's configured, etc, so we are talking the same? If you have it connected to a samsung soundbar then yes it will work.
I've read countless forms of many many people having the exact same issue, here is just one forum, https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/audio-output-keeps-switching-to-tv-speakers/td-p/3831034 

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Never had a problem hooking up a Samsung TV to a receiver. Did you turn the TV speakers off in settings if you have that option?
0 Likes
tconroy
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Yes I have, over and over and over again. Can you give me your exact set up so we are comparing apples to apples? I have the Samsung TV connected to a Yamaha receiver via HDMI. Is your Samsung TV connected to a receiver, like a Yamaha, or HK, or Pioneer, etc? 

Once I manually go in and change the speaker output from TV Speakers to "Yamaha RX-V379" (the HDMI connect recognizes that Yamaha receiver and lists it on the Samsung TV). But every time I turn the TV off and back on, and it turns the receiver on at the same time which is good, there is no sound (unless I turn up the volume on the "TV", which I have it down to zero as we want sound only through the receiver). Then I have to go into Settings and Sound Output, and it's on TV Speakers every time until I manually change it. If I use the specific ARC HDMI on the TV  it's even worse, I will go in manually and change to Yamaha receiver, after about 5 seconds it will revert back to TV Speakers on it's own...every single time

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
HD and UHD TVs
I don't have a Samsung TV anymore but never had any problems when I did. My TV is hooked up to my receiver through the ARC connection. I have my TV's internal speakers disabled and they have remained disabled ever since. Has it always done this to you or did it start doing this after an update? Have you contacted Samsung or Yamaha to see what they say?
0 Likes
tconroy
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Thanks for the feedback. This problem has been going on for more than 6 years from what I can see on various support pages. Samsung will say it's fixed and close message boards, when it has NEVER been fixed. I have tried Samsung several times and they always say the same thing "we will look into this", same thing for years. I have all the updated software, it is not a Yamaha issue. 

I would love for someone to respond with having the Samsung TV, connected to a known brand receiver by HDMI, and tell me it works. Take just a few minutes a read some of this message board, https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/audio-output-keeps-switching-to-tv-speakers/td-p/3831034 , or search on Youtube, you will find numerous

0 Likes
Diaboyos
Honored Contributor
Options
HD and UHD TVs
It might be time to look into getting a new TV. Last year's models will be half off around March-April.
0 Likes
tconroy
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

It's interesting I just keep hearing I don't have this issue, yet no one will give me their exact set up so we are comparing the same thing. 

0 Likes