JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Remote Control stopped controlling cable box

(Topic created: 07-17-2020 12:17 AM)
Eccs
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have a TU7000 50" that had been working great for the last couple of weeks... Then the remote stopped being able to control my cable box (Spectrum Motorola/Arris dcx3600m). 

Cable box is directly connected to TV via HDMI 1. Video/audio playback is fine, just can't control with the Samsung remote anymore. I tried removing the stb from the TV and seeing back up, but gets stuck at the channel up/down part (doesn't respond) even after inputting the model number directly.

Help please!

Note10+, TU7000, S22 Ultra

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs
  1. Reset the remote.

Remove the batteries, and then press the Power button for eight seconds to reset the remote. Then, reinsert the batteries and try to use the remote again. Check out the user manual if you need help accessing the battery compartment.

Alternately if you have a 2021 Neo QLED, 2021 QLED, or 2021 Frame TV (QN900A, QN800A, QN700A, QN95A, QN90A, QN85A, Q80A, Q70A, Q60A, LS03A):

To reset the remote by press and hold Return and Enter (the center of the navigation pad) for more than 10 seconds. After performing this reset, you will need to pair the remote to the TV again. Skip to step 3.

2. Check if the remote is sending an IR signal.

Take either a digital camera or use the camera on your phone or tablet. Point the remote at the camera, and then press and hold the Power button on the remote. As you hold the button down, look at the camera's screen. If the remote is sending an IR signal, you will see a colored light coming from the remote control.

• If you do not see the IR light, replace the batteries with fresh ones and try again. If you still do not see the IR light, then replace the remote.
    • If your remote is not a Smart Remote, and you see the IR light, turn on your TV using the control on the TV directly. Then, try controlling the TV again by pointing the remote directly at the Samsung logo. If the remote still will not work, visit our Support Center to request service. (If your TV will not turn on when using the control on the TV, see our guide.)

3. If you have a Smart Remote, try to pair it with the TV.

1. Press and hold Return and the button that is diagonally up and to the right of Return. (This is usually the button with 4 colored dots, but can vary depending on the remote) . This will reset the smart remote.
    2. Stand within 1 foot of the TV, and press and hold Return and Play/Pause simultaneously for at least 5 seconds or until a message appears on your TV indicating that the remote is now connected.

If the remote will not pair:

1. Unplug the TV for 30 seconds, and plug it back in.
    2. Stand within 1 foot of the TV, and press and hold Return and Play/Pause simultaneously for at least 5 seconds or until a message appears on your TV indicating that the remote is now connected.

If the troubleshooting steps above do not help feel free to reach out to our Remote Management Department at 1-800-Samsung for further assistance.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

67 Replies
Solution
SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
HD and UHD TVs
  1. Reset the remote.

Remove the batteries, and then press the Power button for eight seconds to reset the remote. Then, reinsert the batteries and try to use the remote again. Check out the user manual if you need help accessing the battery compartment.

Alternately if you have a 2021 Neo QLED, 2021 QLED, or 2021 Frame TV (QN900A, QN800A, QN700A, QN95A, QN90A, QN85A, Q80A, Q70A, Q60A, LS03A):

To reset the remote by press and hold Return and Enter (the center of the navigation pad) for more than 10 seconds. After performing this reset, you will need to pair the remote to the TV again. Skip to step 3.

2. Check if the remote is sending an IR signal.

Take either a digital camera or use the camera on your phone or tablet. Point the remote at the camera, and then press and hold the Power button on the remote. As you hold the button down, look at the camera's screen. If the remote is sending an IR signal, you will see a colored light coming from the remote control.

• If you do not see the IR light, replace the batteries with fresh ones and try again. If you still do not see the IR light, then replace the remote.
    • If your remote is not a Smart Remote, and you see the IR light, turn on your TV using the control on the TV directly. Then, try controlling the TV again by pointing the remote directly at the Samsung logo. If the remote still will not work, visit our Support Center to request service. (If your TV will not turn on when using the control on the TV, see our guide.)

3. If you have a Smart Remote, try to pair it with the TV.

1. Press and hold Return and the button that is diagonally up and to the right of Return. (This is usually the button with 4 colored dots, but can vary depending on the remote) . This will reset the smart remote.

If the remote will not pair:

1. Unplug the TV for 30 seconds, and plug it back in.

If the troubleshooting steps above do not help feel free to reach out to our Remote Management Department at 1-800-Samsung for further assistance.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

user1dsxdEPWTB
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I confirmed that this is an issue with the IR from the remote. Channel change using Alexa works very well. 

I'd rather replace the remote with something with better IR than use a repeater. Has anyone found anything that works better?

0 Likes
userdAYfv3s5I9
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs
I have the same issue. Samsung is saying it is Xfinity's problem and vice versa. I even had a Samsung tech come to my home and tell me the TV was fine. I have multiple Samsung TV's in my home that use the one remote and they work fine. I even got my cable provider to swap out my cable box multiple times.

Again Samsung says it the cable box. I find it interesting that my other TV's work just fine with the one remote.

I am really disappointed that Samsung will not replace this TV. Clearly it is an issue with multiple people having the same problem.
user3HkWFCzHwd
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I'm having the same issue. The update to the TV at the end of last year broke this functionality. There are countless threads about this.

Could Samsung please acknowledge this at least instead of keep asking people to perform arbitrary troubleshooting?

The update broke the universal remote functionality and there is no fix being provided.

The users here are not stupid.

Options
HD and UHD TVs

You'll likely need to place the cable box closer to the TV so that the cable box can receive IR commands that are being sent from the TV. From there, you can go through the setup steps again and check the channel up/down test.

userxciVlDSdzC
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

This doesn't solve the problem. 

Options
HD and UHD TVs

This useless comment seems inflated to me. This does nothing because IT IS AN ISSUE WITH THE UPDATE

userUSUn48dLj3
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have the same problem. Started about 2 weeks ago. Spectrum says it's a Samsung problem, Samsung says it's a Spectrum problem. My Spectrum box is a Motorola DCH 3416. Nothing changed with the TV (no software update, etc). My guess is that Spectrum updated firmware on the cable box and caused the problem. Getting newer model Spectrum box tomorrow. Hope it fixes the problem.

users2xjYastWc
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have returned 3 Samsung 50" TU7000FXZA tvs to Best Buy. The remote works for 10-14 days and then suddenly stops being able to control the cable box. Best Buy support was useless as was Samsung support. It is clearly a Samsung issue as my LG never had this problem with my Spectrum boxes. The mystery is why it works for a while and then suddenly stops. and there are no fixes. I thought maybe you could just use the Universal Remote set up to reconnect, but that does not work.

I will be requesting a $100 rebate from Samsung. This is utterly unacceptable and a  clearly known issue.