Original topic:

Screen tearing issues on tv connected to PC

(Topic created: 01-01-2023 08:57 AM)
Inshal
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Hello, I have a Samsung AU7000 UHD 4k smart TV. I recently bought a gaming laptop and decided to connect it to the tv to play games. I connected the laptop using an HDMI 2.0 cable that supports 4k@60hz. And the problem I'm facing is screen tearing while gaming, during fast moving motions.

I've tried all the HDMI ports but the problem persists. The reason behind the problem that I've guessed is the high refresh rate of the TV and lower fps while gaming. This is usually the main issue for screen tearing. Even though the display setting on windows tells me that the refresh rate is set to 60Hz, I can tell that the Tv is still displaying 120. I've tried enabling V-Sync option but that doesn't limit the fps since the tv is running at 120hz. 

I don't have the best Graphics card on my laptop that can deliver 100 plus frames on modern games so I need a way to set the refresh rate of the Tv to 60. I've tried turning off game mode and picture clarity settings but both of them don't help. I've read about disabling TruMotion option at many places but I can't find that setting on my Tv. 

7 Replies
DanG92263
Neutron Star
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Yep. Looks to be a graphics card issue (or a CPU issue, depending on the game) on the PC to me.
0 Likes
Inshal
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

No it isn't. The game runs fine on the laptop screen as I mentioned. Plus screen tearing is a common symptom of fps and refresh rate difference. If I lower the graphic settings of the game by alot and manage to get 100+ fps then the tearing goes away. I just need a way to bring down the refresh rate of the Tv to 60Hz.

0 Likes
DanG92263
Neutron Star
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Screen tearing usually occurs when the GPU’s frame rate and the monitor’s refresh rate are not in sync (We agree.). So, if you can't adjust the refresh rate of the TV in the TV settings, you must look to the GPU on your laptop to resolve the tearing, thus, it "looks to be a graphics card issue (or a CPU issue, depending on the game) on the PC [laptop] to me." A 4k TV should be doing its job and adjusting to the video input that it is receiving on its own.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/tv-refresh-rates-explained-60hz-120hz-and-beyond

You said recently, but how old is the laptop?

Does your laptop meet the recommended minimum specs required to play the game?
0 Likes
Inshal
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

It's a 2021 Dell alienware laptop and specs are above the recommended requirements for the game. But the thing is most modern games (especially single player AAA titles) don't reach very high fps even on modern hardware and are considered playable at 60 fps. The only answer I required was whether the Tv can adjust it's refresh rate from 120 to 60 and I guess that's not possible. Thanks for your time and answers by the way.

0 Likes
DanG92263
Neutron Star
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Your problem could also be the 4k@60hz cable. Try a 4k@120hz in its place. You may be dampening the video signal from the laptop to TV.
0 Likes
Inshal
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I'll try that, thanks.

0 Likes
DanG92263
Neutron Star
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Did replacing the cable work?