JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Shortcut to sleep timer?

(Topic created: 10-15-2020 12:51 PM)
usero317q74RuF
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

It takes 15 button presses to set the sleep timer and return to what I'm watching on my UN50TU700DFXZA TV. There is no Tools button or any other shortcut I can find. This my bedroom TV that I go to sleep with. Does any one know of any shortcuts to this feature that most TVs have a one or two button click to set?

7 Replies
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I apologize, other than navigating to Settings > General System Manager > Time Sleep Timer, there are no shortcuts available.

userOGSOETkj0A
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@Anonymous wrote:

I apologize, other than navigating to Settings > General System Manager > Time Sleep Timer, there are no shortcuts available.

This is terrible. I set my sleep timer every night, additionally, I often extend it right before falling asleep. My last TV had a single button on tje remote I could single push to set timer. I just got my Samsung TV today and I am seriously thinking of returning it. I never throught a modern TV would lack a sleep timer button on the remote. Had I known this, I definitely would not have bought the TV.  Will definitely tell people to avoid this brand.

userMu6eUftehK
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I've been searching for an answer to this as well.  My wife misses the easy to use sleep timer function on our old TCL/Roku TV even though the picture on our new Samsung Q60T is much better.   The sleep function is buried pretty deep in the menu system and who needs that hassle when you're half asleep and you just want the soothing voice of the Forensic Files guy to lull you back to sleep at 2am?

I did finally find a solution.

Set voice assistant to Bixby (yeah, I know).   Then use the Voice Command button (microphone icon button on top center of remote), hold it down until the on-screen prompt appears, then say 'Set timer for (number) of minutes/hours.'    Works like a charm.

Note that this didn't work with Google Assistant as the voice assistant.  Haven't tried Alexa.  

userX7S07a509b
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

After two hours of setting our new TV up, and getting everything perfect, we noticed the remote has no sleep button. Oh no, that is a deal breaker. Takes over 10 clicks to set the timer. That ain’t going to work every night. Boxed it back up and are going to return it for a manufacture that has a sleep button on the remote. Samsung puts all these useless buttons on the remote, but not a sleep button, seriously. Executives must not have Samsung TVs at their house, and/or bedrooms. Very disappointed.

userfVN4EvutMm
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I have a solution which I like a lot.  It doesn't use a remote control and there's no remote programming, but you need Alexa.

I set up a routine in Alexa called "Bedroom TV Off", and I set the routine to execute at 1am (though you can set it for any time).  When I fall asleep with the TV on, it just goes off at 1am.  Works perfectly and I never have to worry or think about it.  

The command is "Alexa, bedroom TV off" (or whatever you've named your TV in Alexa) - and set the routine to go off at a specific time, and you're done.

From the Alexa App, choose "More" in the lower right corner.  Then choose "Routines", and "+".  Give it a name like "Bedroom TV off at 1am", set a time like "1am", then give it the action "Alexa, bedroom TV off".  

purplemelrn
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs
If you use the home button on the remote and then go to the gear icon it brings up and small menu that is across the screen that has the sleep timer on it. Its less combursome than going in thru the settings. It takes about 3 or 4 pushes of the button on the remote.
userzsNkslz4BL
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Why don't they make a shortcut on the Samsung TV for the sleep timer..If you want to use this feature you have to press the remote at least 7 times