cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GJMcG
Asteroid

TV automatically changing sources!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have an older Samsung TV, model LN40B530P7N.  It is NOT a Smart TV.
It has been working perfectly for years!
But 2 nights ago it began automatically changing sources from HDMI1, to PC, to TV.  It does this all by itself while I am trying to watch shows!
The ONLY device connected to this TV is my Spectrum cable DVR, and it is just a dumb unit connected to our whole-house DVR.
I have used my cable remote, my Samsung remote, and the buttons on the side of the TV to change the source back to HDMI1, but WHEN THAT WORKS at all, it will only stay on HDMI1 for a few seconds... occasionally it might stay there for up to 10 minutes at the most.
(NOTE:  Right now it is extremely difficult to get ANY of the remotes or TV buttons to do anything at all.  It is even difficult to get it to bring up the main Samsung menu.  It takes multiple attempts and sometimes doesn't work at all.  I have put new batteries in both remotes just to be sure that isn't the problem.)
I have read other articles here, so I already turned off the Anynet feature.
I have tried finding a way to reset the TV, but so far I can't find a way to do that.
I have turned the TV and DVR off and back on, and even rebooted the DVR... just out of sheer desperation for a solution.
And, lastly, I've tried to figure out how to check for a software or firmware update, but since it's a "dumb" TV I can't find a way to do that.
Currently, this TV is unusable!
PLEASE tell me there is a solution!!!!!  Based on articles, it appears this has been a known problem for quite some time!
Thanks

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GJMcG
Asteroid

Re: TV automatically changing sources!

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Between turning off the "Anynet+" feature and the firmware/software update, I believe the problem has been resolved!
I've watched both live cable TV and things recorded on my DVR for hours now, and the source has not switched!
As I mentioned above, it would have been really nice if the Samsung download page had mentioned it was a zipped file that needed to be un-zipped before copying to the thumb drive.  That would have saved me a great deal of time trying to figure out why the TV didn't recognize the file I had originally saved to it.
But, all's well that ends well, and my TV appears to be FIXED!!!!
Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

To properly test out the TV to see if the remote are the cause of this symptom. I would suggest taking the batteries out of the remotes and turning the TV to the correct source that way. If the TV still changes sources while the remote is not getting any power, we can conclude the remotes are not causing the issue. Can you also tell me the current firmware your TV is running?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

GJMcG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

That's how I started out... I had not used the Samsung remote in eons, just my DVR remote.  It's all I ever needed.  So the batteries in the remote were completely dead.
I'm not sure where to find my version of software, but I will go look.

GJMcG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK... I finally found it!
Currently I have T-STL5PAUSFC-1019.2
On that same page I saw the web page I should check for firmware updates, so I'm headed there now.

GJMcG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

On the Samsung support page I found newer FIRMWARE, version 1021.1
I downloaded that to a thumb drive.
Next, I inserted that thumb drive into the "Service" USB port on the back of the TV.
I then opened the menu and found the option to upgrade SOFTWARE.
It did apparently find the thumb drive, but it said there wasn't an available file for an upgrade.
I'm thinking perhaps that's because software and firmware aren't the same thing.
However, I can't find an option on the menu for updating firmware.
Any suggestions????

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Is the 1021.1 firmware the only thing on the thumb drive?  That could cause issues with it reading the file.  It's also a possibility that the firmware may not need to be updated and the television may need to be serviced.  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

GJMcG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I finally figured it out with more research!
I had to unzip the file I downloaded.
I sure wish it said that right on the download page!
But after un-zipping I was able to update the firmware on the TV.
Now I just have to wait and see if that resolves the problem.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Please keep us posted.  

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Any changes?  

GJMcG
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Between turning off the "Anynet+" feature and the firmware/software update, I believe the problem has been resolved!
I've watched both live cable TV and things recorded on my DVR for hours now, and the source has not switched!
As I mentioned above, it would have been really nice if the Samsung download page had mentioned it was a zipped file that needed to be un-zipped before copying to the thumb drive.  That would have saved me a great deal of time trying to figure out why the TV didn't recognize the file I had originally saved to it.
But, all's well that ends well, and my TV appears to be FIXED!!!!
Thanks!

View solution in original post