JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Thoughts on cost/effort of fixing cracked screen as opposed to a new TV?

(Topic created: 08-10-2020 09:38 AM)
jchp1973
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Thanks in advance.

My family's first COVID pandemic casualty is the TV, which in the scheme of things is probably still a "good problem" compared to what other people are going through.  My restless young child threw a toy at the TV and the screen now is damaged.  I have looked online for a few minutes to try and figure out which part(s) have to be replaced, how much they would cost, and whether it is a "do it yourself" job or requires a pro.

I paid $750 for the TV new in November.  It is 65" UHD Series 8 (model UN65RU800DFXZA).

Thoughts on how much the repairs would be?  Thanks!

Samsung TV damage.jpghas visible damage 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
JohnLoose
Supernova
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Each repair is different. I'd encourage you to reach out to a Samsung repair center as we're not able as a community to provide self repair options for you and want to avoid you voiding the warranty.

View solution in context

0 Likes
6 Replies
Solution
JohnLoose
Supernova
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Each repair is different. I'd encourage you to reach out to a Samsung repair center as we're not able as a community to provide self repair options for you and want to avoid you voiding the warranty.

View solution in context

0 Likes
JohnLoose
Supernova
Options
HD and UHD TVs

@jchp1973 for service requests check out this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/

---

Did this reply help? Be sure to click" ✓ Accept as Solution" if you found this reply solved your issue or pointed you in the right direction. You can also click the heart to let me know your appreciation! 
0 Likes
jchp1973
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Thanks.  I have reached out to them through the website and called them.  They let me schedule a time for repairs on the website but didn't offer an estimate.  So I called to ask that they give me at least a rough estimate based on the part and the the photo I provided before they show up at my door.

0 Likes
jchp1973
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

And I have an update.  I did get quick responses from Samsung's repair vendor, which I appreciate. After emailing them all the details, they surprised me by saying that the part I need is no longer manufactured so it cannot be fixed.

That is disappointing and surprising, since I bought the TV less than a year ago, and it was not the "last year's cheap" one but one of the newer models.  

0 Likes
SamS10g
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Is your screen broken?
0 Likes
jchp1973
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

The external screen is not damaged and with the TV off looks fine.  But per the picture above the ??LCD panel?? (not sure the part name) is damaged.

0 Likes