Original topic:

UN55MU6300 - No storage space for user-installed apps

(Topic created: 07-04-2021 10:49 AM)
MrnBio_Gobiops
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Hello,

This topic has been brought up numerous times, and I have posted in other threads regarding HBOMax and the like - but my TV (UN55MU6300) has virtually no storage space w/ few if any user-installed apps. Our other TV from around the same time (UN40MU6290) does not have this problem.

I have tried a variety of options including factory resets and other ways of clearing the TV to see if maybe something was eating up unnecessary storage space (e.g., hanging installation, cached data files) - but that proved fruitless.  This is only further compounded by a growing list of The manufacturer-installed apps, which I am unable to install (e.g., Peacock, YouTubeTV, DiscoveryGo), that are taking up majority of the available space on our TV. 

Spotify, Disney+, and HBOMax are the only user-installed apps we have, and 2 of those 3 have to be installed on a flash-drive due to the lack of space, per the canned response from a few reps on this message board. Unfortunately, it seems that installing apps to a flash-drive requires 1) the app to require more space than is currently available on the TV before the option to install to a flash drive even shows up, and 2) seems to have issues with automatic updates, thus requiring users to uninstall then reinstall the app on the flash-drive (at least this has been the case for HBOmax, requiring uninstallation and reinstallation for any app updates - else it errors out). 

This is unreasonable and comes across as planned obsolescence. Reading these messages boards it appears little, if any, acknowledgement and appreciable efforts have been made to resolve these end-user problems as well. Further, when end-users appear to find ways to remove unwanted apps (Thank you YouTube), OS updates remove these options altogether. 

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated as having to uninstall/install apps on a regular basis, then relog into accounts for said apps is bothersome. 

27 Replies
userQHukFuI4xM
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

We're all in the same boat.  I've had those same issues going on since April.  Haven't been able to use anything but preinstalled apps since then with no customer service help.  It's looking like my next TV won't be Samsung if this keeps up much longer.

usergoIVYGq0bf
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Yeah dude, I'll never buy another Samsung tv again tbh. The bloatware on top of not being able to clear cache or delete those apps is infuriating. In 2021, you'd expect more out of one of the world's leading microchip maker.

userUFfkwH0bRk
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Same here... Apps installed on flash drive need to be re-installed periodically, even if they stay installed they randomly disappear from the home bar. Volume control only goes up\down 2 notches and gets stuck muted weekly (cold boot usually fixes this temporarily). I really hope Samsung can provide some kind of real solution to this issue because throwing out a $1500 TV after 4 years is just not an acceptable option...

MrnBio_Gobiops
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

After numerous back-n-forths w/ customer services and receiving an as-yet-released firmware update that supposedly fixes the space issue, I finally replaced the mainboard in our TV ~($60 online , piece of cake to install). 

TV works like a champ now - bloatware + user installed apps and still have plenty of space for app updates and the like (fluctuates between 60-160 MB of free space). TV runs much smoother now too. I guess that lends further credence to the notion that cheap storage components were used when these TVs were built.  

my $0.02 - replace the board, save yourself the headache...

prairienyx
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Can you share a link to where this $60 online mainboard replacement can be ordered?

Thank you!

Prairie Nyx
0 Likes
MrnBio_Gobiops
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Shared the link in a private message

0 Likes
Robert952
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Would you mind sending me the link, too, please.  Is there a vid to show how to change the board?   Thank you.  

userNHIzUmzhEh
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Where did you get the board from.  I've been having this issue with this tv for a while.. I bought an newer Samsung to replace this one, and it works fine and I have plenty of space.  I decided to use this TV in my office and forgot all about this issue.  Just spoke to Samsung support and I told them I see this has been a known issue.  Was told that they are unaware of any issue and will push my issue to another team and they will contact me once it's looked into 

0 Likes
MrnBio_Gobiops
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Shared in a private message

0 Likes