cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Unable to connect new Samsung UN65RU8000FXZA Flat 65-Inch 4K 8 Series Ultra HD with surround sound

I recently purchased the new Samsung 4K 8 Series TV and moved into a new home that the prior owner left his built in surround sound system (Onkyo AV Receiver HT-R550) for us to use.  I am having a very difficult time connecting the surround sound up to play on this TV.  I am plugging the HDMI cord that was left in the residence and worked on the prior owner's TV (unknown type) however my TV is not playing the sound through the receiver, only the TV.  I have the HDMI cord plugged into the back of the receiver under the HDMI Assignable slot (I do no see anything marked ARC).  There are two other HDMI in slots on the receiver.  The other end of the HDMI in the back of my TV I have going into HDMI ARC 4.  My TV shows that I have "unknown HDMI" plugged in but does not find it to be a surround sound option or play sound through the system, only the TV.  I did try running an Optical cord from the back of my receiver to the TV optical hook up but got no results with this either (no sound at all when plugged in).  The odd thing is when I run an HDMI cord from my Blue Ray DVD player into the back of my receiver and play a DVD, the surround sound plays throughout the system.  Any advice is helpful...I am at a loss?  Thanks!Mike