JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Universal remote stopped working with cable box

(Topic created: 03-23-2021 11:55 AM)
userTRDhisQLRV
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Still no fix or update from Samsung regarding this issue, to my knowledge at least.

My original post:

I purchased my tv in Novemeber of 2020 and the remote was working fine until 1/21/21. For some reason the remote stopped working with the cable box. I reached out to Samsung and spent approx. 2 hours on the phone going through all of the troubleshooting steps that were provided, however, these did not fix the problem. I was told to contact my cable provider to see if there was an update sent that could have stopped the remote from working with the cable box. Prior to ending the call, I was provided with a ticket number, was told that the issue was escalated, and was informed that if the issue wasn't from the cable provider then I would most likely be given a newer model TV from the company. I then contacted my cable provider, who informed me that they did not send any updates, but attempted to remotley update my cable box in an attempt to rectify the issue. After an hour of working on this situation, the issue was not fixed. I contacted Samsung once again ( on 1/23/21) and was provided with another ticket number and was informed that the techs would come to my house to work on the problem. The techs arrived today (1/29/21) and they were unable to solve the problem. After I was informed that they were unable to provide a solution, they informed me that they updated my information in their system which prompted me to call Samsung, once again, in an attempt to fix the issue. The last Samsung rep I spoke with today attempted to take me through the same steps that I went through on my FIRST call to Samsung. If my data/information was updated, then why would this rep attempt to take me through the same steps that did not rectify the situation to begin with???? I asked the rep to refer to my original reference/ticket number (which should have been escalated) but was informed that that ticket had been closed. Why would that ticket have been closed when the issue was never resolved?!?! When I informed the rep of what had transpired in the original call to Samsung, I was told that he would contact the service pros regarding my issue. If the Samsung techs, who were at my house, could not fix the problem, how would the this department be able to fix the situation?? From this thread it can be clearly observed that this issue is an on-going and known issue, however, Samsung has YET TO ADDRESS OR PROVIDE A SOLUTION TO FIX THIS ISSUE. Why is it that the customer service reps are comfortable with giving you the run around withought actually providing a solution? As a corporation, this is highly unacceptable and it clearly shows that customer service/satisfaction is not one of their top concerns. As an avid Samsung product user, this is extremly disheartening and makes me entertain the thought about leaving Samsung products for a company that values the concerns of their customers and provides adequate customer service.
6 Replies
Andrew N
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

My issue is very similar even though it was my cable box and Xbox One S that the universal remote stopped working at the same time. They are also giving me the run around.

0 Likes
Solution
Andrew N
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Update: Issue resolved! Samsung sent out a technician for the second time and I explained my theory that the TV is having a problem communicating with the universal remote to tell it what codes it should be using for the eternal devices. He agreed and decided to replace the IR sensor on the TV. Once he replaced the part and put the TV back together the universal remote started to work like it originally did with both my Xbox and cable box. I hope this helps anyone who is having the same issue and no other troubleshooting worked.

user7flZdH0ED5
Constellation
Options
HD and UHD TVs

Andrew N - How did you get a Samsung tech to come to  your house? Who/how do you contact? I'm wondering if we all have IR sensor failures. This has been a really frustrating experience.

0 Likes
userTRDhisQLRV
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs
They have changed the IR sensor twice, the motherboard, and some other piece. They were all temporary fixes.
0 Likes
userOzldQYxxsk
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

This worked for me:

1. Turn off TV

2. Unplug HDMI cable of the device that the remote has stopped controlling.

3. Unplug the power to device (i.e. cable box, TiVo, whatever) for a couple of minutes, then restore the power to device.

4. Turn on TV

5. Now plug HDMI cable for device back into TV's HDMI input.

6. The TV will respond as if this is an initial set-up for this source, and run you through the complete registration procedure.  If the TV God is with you, and you light a candle, your smart remote will once again run your device; (or at least for an undetermined period of time when it may once again stop unexpectedly and without explanation, and then you can run through this procedure again).      Hope this helps.

0 Likes
userTRDhisQLRV
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs
Thanks for the insight, however, I've tried that quite a few times (maybe the TV god is busy with their own remote lol). Techs have been here to "fix" the issue multiple times and each fix works for 3-4 weeks before the remote stops working again.
0 Likes