Original topic:

un55mu630d Memory Issue Workaround?

(Topic created: 05-27-2021 07:37 PM)
user8ALU4gddGp
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

I finally feel a little relief that it's not just me experiencing this sorely disappointing issue with my television having seen here and elsewhere online about TVs hitting the on-board memory limit.  My instincts have lead me to believe this is due to either no garbage collection of the stale downloads of required apps/os updates or because something is flawed with the on-board solid-state memory.  I had all of the same symptoms: lack of volume control, slowly my apps stopped updating or launching, now I can't even get the apps "app" to pop up. I tried all of the troubleshooting steps- the cold restarts, the external thumb drive, an external SSD, trying to ssh in from another computer on the network with a list of default credentials, but nothing has worked. I have exhausted the options available to me through the TV's user interface. Being a software developer, I was excited to see that the SDK is open source, but it seems as though FS management is beyond the public scope. 

So at this point- where does that leave us?

Samsung is aware of the issue and from what I've read online it seems like they've known for a couple of years. I want to know: is Samsung devoted to either offer a workaround (a firmware patch that properly manages onboard memory if it's a memory management issue/ a firmware patch that can write the system files over to a secondary drive to boot from there if hardware) or work with customers to replace these TVs

If there were simply a way to flash the onboard memory and start fresh I believe this would likely clear up the issue- unfortunately none of the options in the menu do this very standard function of contemporary electronics. 

2 Replies
Nix_samsung
Astronaut
Options
HD and UHD TVs
I've had a similar issue with mine and I've called customer service several times and they refuse to do the right thing and just replace the actual storage capacity. It doesn't make sense that we have to live with bloatware on the on board memory with no way to remove it leaving us no space for the apps and updates we want on our TV's.
user8ALU4gddGp
Asteroid
Options
HD and UHD TVs

If I were a global electronics manufacturer who had followed the legal definition of planned obsolescence to a T, I would be thinking about risk mitigation from a class act suit at this point. It's one thing to try pulling the wool over consumer's eyes on the amount of cereal in a cereal box, but people understand how systems and software works anymore. There's been a pattern over the last five years- in fact I think samsung was sued in china by a consumer protection group for this exact thing: un-uninstallable bloat that bogged phones down to a crawl. Seems like this is an easy win for samsung if they would just attempt to help their customers with a patch here.

0 Likes