Constellation

Re: DTS-X support for HW-K950!!!

It would be awesome if you could share a link to this firmware

Constellation

Can you please share a link to the discussion on firmware you mentioned

Constellation

As you can't vote for features, I'm also just adding myself here to show my interest for the DTS:X and hopefully whilst they're on int DTS-HD and MA update.

Cheers

Cosmic Ray

userzKbs62aeN5 wrote:

As you can't vote for features, I'm also just adding myself here to show my interest for the DTS:X and hopefully whilst they're on int DTS-HD and MA update.

Cheers

DTS:X is just extra meta-data on top of DTS: HD Master Audio. If we get the former then the latter will also be available.

The problem here I think is that Samsung already announced the newer HW-N950 with DTS:X-support. There would be little to no benefit (economically) for Samsung to give old users with HW-K950 the same via new firmware. 

Constellation

Tought that those two would go togheter (DTS-HD MA & DTS-X).

Well economically it actually could be pretty smart. Just stop the production push out the update and most likely you still can sell off the units in stock without putting them on discount because there is already the successor product on the market plus all competing products have those capabilitys aswell.

Constellation

Yes ..please ....samsung, update the bar to DTS x ..stop guiding costumers to the competition who already support the format. Instead show gratitude for all the costumers that already purchased the product .

Constellation

I'm assuming Samsung will suspend development from now on after announcing the N850/N950 replacements at CES.

Samsung will likely only issue bug fixes in future firmware builds. Follow Samsungs history around 'missing' features that could be enabled on current/older hardware, it doesn't happen, especially when new products with the wanted feature are on the horizon/announced.

Sadly, I assume it is to knock the previous buyers (K950) onto the latest (N950) when the time comes, more money spent means you will likely pay again to get the features you're missing, Samsung know their enthusiast customers. I wish this wasn't the case.

You'll notice somebody claims to have knowledge of an incoming firmware update, I hope they're right, I also hope it's for DTS:X among bug fixes. It could be a rogue  Samsung agent claiming to know about updates.

Asteroid

I gurantee no matter what features on the N950 im done with Samsung. For the lack of features added for theyre hi end model. I truly believe they’re done with this one. 

Asteroid

Advice please,
I have the HW-K950 unopened in the box.
Here’s my situation:
- 1/3 of my UHD collection contains audio tracks comprised of DTSX.
- I have my router located directly beneath the desired position for rear speakers. (Anticipating drop-outs/interference).

Based on everything I’ve learnt about this sound bar, those issues appear to be showstoppers. Should I attempt to return it?
Cosmic Ray

[ Edited ]

user23LD9oE2PZ wrote:
Advice please,
I have the HW-K950 unopened in the box.
Here’s my situation:
- 1/3 of my UHD collection contains audio tracks comprised of DTSX.
- I have my router located directly beneath the desired position for rear speakers. (Anticipating drop-outs/interference).

Based on everything I’ve learnt about this sound bar, those issues appear to be showstoppers. Should I attempt to return it?

Lookin back on my purchase, I would not buy a HW-K950 today.

If you can live with the constant risk of drop-outs, interference and that fact that your are losing out on DTS:X/DTS-HD MA - then go ahead and unpack your soundbar.

But if you have just a second of doubt then I would advice that you return it for something else. There is a great risk that you will be affected by one or several issues mentioned here (Google Translate, Swedish to English, K960 is the same as K950 but for the European market).

Do know that a complete surround-setup with a full surround-receiver and seperate speakers for DTS:X or Dolby Atmos will cost more, take up more space in the room and  leave you with lots of cables alongside the walls.