Dolby ATMOS via ARC

SOLVED

Re: Dolby ATMOS via ARC

@Gopi Gnanadeesi wrote:

I too have the same problem. I recently bought Q7F 2018. When I tried to search for Atmos video in Netflix I couldn't get the same. Samsung please get us the fix at the earliest. 

The Netflix app on your TV does not support Dolby Atmos.  You can see the short list of devices that do support it here:  https://help.netflix.com/en/node/64066

Atmos does work on the Amazon app on the 2018 Q7F, though.  You have to make sure the sound output format on the TV is set to Dolby Digital +.

Constellation

I remember deciding between OLED or QLED.

I ended up with the QLED in the end - but I was super peeved it couldn't do this and always hoped the 2018 modes would.

Why is Samsung so far behind ?
Astronaut

[ Edited ]

Netflix doesn't support Atmos on Samsung. I use my tv as a panel only, plug my 4k fire stick, Xbox one, now tv, satellite box all direct into my Denon amp and let it do all the work. 4k uhd and atmos for Netflix and blurays through the Xbox and Amazon through the stick. Others in 1080p and dts neural x because that's the best they can drive.

Constellation

I had the same issue with flagship Qf9 2018 and n850 sound bar.  It works out that ARC in current state does not support Dolby atmos,  so the only way to get it working is connecting everything directly to sound bar and use ARC to connect to tv.  

I use my Xbox one s for Netflix and Dolby atmos. Sky Q also works but only if devices connected to sound bar.

Like many others I am not best pleased with spending a small fortune on samsung and got getting what you want.  Especially as my house redesign was based on ARC working, so now I have limited cables available through my wall. To top it I was told the one connect cable was 15m with the flagship model. I ended spending a further £200 on a cable that samsung themselves did not have. I found a supplier in Germany of all places.

Constellation

[ Edited ]

@jaimefcb wrote:
I have been also looking for that answer on Samsung and Netflix sides from weeks,
No luck so far...

IMO it's probably a Netflix commercial/licensing issue with Samsung not wanting to pay up. I have no. Issues getting Dolby Atmos or HDR via external AmZ Prime Video app on Hwk950.

The following devices support Dolby Atmos with Netflix:

• Apple TV 4K (requires tvOS 12 or later)

• LG OLED TVs (2017 or newer models)

• Pixela 4K Smart Tuner

• Sony BRAVIA Android TVs (2018 models)

• Windows 10 app (requires Windows 10 RS3 Build 16299 or later)

• Xbox One, Xbox One S, and Xbox One X

Constellation

Tried the Dolby Atmos 'Leaf' demo through DS Video on my QE55Q7F from my Synology NAS.

It works on my HW-N850 with ARC

Constellation

Hi Gill I was wondering if you could help me I am looking at getting Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 System with ceiling speakers does the HDMI ARC on Q9 FN one box support Full Dolby Atmos ? As I understand it seems that it needs 2.1 HDMI is this correct I do not want to waste a lot of money to find out its not working properly thanks Marcus 

Samsung Moderator

@marcus hickman1; That is correct. It is recommended to have a 2.1 HDMI cable. The Q9FN model supports Dolby Atmos, so as long as the source of the audio is decoded in Dolby, the TV should have no problem formatting the audio to Dolby Atmos. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

hi Darius thanks for quick answer but is ant HDMI ARC need to be eARC 2.1 HDMI to accept true dolby atoms ?
Samsung Moderator

We have tested Dolby Atoms on our Samsung TV (not the Q9FN model) and it worked with a regular HDMI cable. It really depends on the source where the audio is decoded from. With that in mind, there have been cases where the TV was only able to use Dolby Atoms with a 2.1 HDMI cable. I don't have a definite answer I'm afraid, but 2.1 would be recommended. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.