Dolby TrueHD (HW-K850)

Highlighted
Asteroid

Dolby TrueHD (HW-K850)

Does the HW-k850 have the ability to decode dolby TrueHD? Whenever I passthrough TrueHD audio, I expected to get awesome surround sound... instead I got silence. I needed to set my receiver to decode it itself, so no atmos Smiley Sad

4 REPLIES
Asteroid

Re: Dolby TrueHD (HW-K850)

Nope.  Can't handle that format.  Also can't even passthrough Atmos via Arc.  And this is a product Samsung markets as their high-end Atmos centric soundbar.  Do not buy.

Constellation

Then how to pass ATMOS through arc?  Streaming services are offering ATMOS now.  Is there another product?

Samsung Moderator

Both the HW-K850 and K950 Soundbars support Dolby Atmos.

It is important to note that all content and devices in the system must also support Dolby Atmos and that the soundbar is properly connected.

For example, if your home entertainment system consists of a Blu-ray Player and one of these soundbars, the Blu-ray Player and the disc must also have Dolby Atmos decoding. You can check if a disc supports Dolby Atmos by looking on the back cover of the packaging.

Finally the components need to be connected (see the diagram below), and the audio output of the playback device (i.e. Blu-ray Player) must be set to “Unprocessed Bitstream or no encoding.” Many devices default to “PCM output” which does not support Dolby Atmos.*

*It is important to note, Samsung cannot guarantee compatibility with non-Samsung devices.

Asteroid

As I just posted in another thread -

Thank you Samsung for yet another useless response.  This thread is about the lack of Atmos passthrough over ARC, something this soundbar completely lacks the ability to do so.  This is unacceptable given that many tv's out there today are currently able to handle exactly this.  As Samsung's high-end soundbar, this functionality is not a 'nice to have' but is something that is expected.  Yes, you can use the HDMI input to get Atmos, but then the 850/950 is unable to passthrough Dolby Vision, which is also a dealbreaker.  So I either lose Dolby Vision or Atmos, depending on which of the crippled alternatives I am forced to accept.  I am actually starting to feel bad for the Samsung reps on these forums.  They are either too ignorant to actually address the issues being put forth or too unempowered to provide responses that actually provide useful information.  It is either a response like this that completely misses the point, or something that starts out with "regrettably we can't....".  How about taking these issues back to the people capable of making something happen and providing an update on where that stands instead?  Simply useless and some of the most inept customer support I have ever seen.  It is like Samsung simply doesn't care once the product is purchased.  Sad.