HT-D550 DVD problem

Highlighted
Constellation

HT-D550 DVD problem

I have an older HT-D550 Home Theater that I had set-up in my previous residence, and it worked fine. I moved to a new house, and really didn't need it (I got a new TV with nice sound), so it sat sealed up tightly in a box in the closet.

My wife's hearing has taken a turn for the worse, and I though this might be a temporary solution (she won't even think of getting a hearing aid). I unboxed it, and everything was nice and clean, virtually no dust on anything. I hooked it up and it sounds very nice. But, I put a DVD in to play, and it gave me a read error. Tried another DVD (these are store-bought movies)- same results. I tried a couple of professionally made wedding videos, and those play fine. CD's play fine. But no movie DVD will play at all. It tries loading the DVD for 2-4 minutes, then ejects it with a "read error" message.

I pulled the cover off the unit and checked for rubber rot, bugs, etc., but it all looks good. The rails and tracks all seem to be lubed well, and it didn't feel dry (although I guess if it was a mechanical problem, the other DVD's and CD's wouldn't play either).

I tried doing a hard reset (press the Stop button until INIT shows on the display), but that didn't help either.

Has anyone else experienced this and fixed it? If so, would you please share how you did it?

TIA!!

SC Tom
3 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: HT-D550 DVD problem

Are they newer DVDs? Have you tried hitting it with compressed air? 

Constellation

SamsungGill wrote:

Are they newer DVDs? Have you tried hitting it with compressed air? 

Tried air first thing before I took it apart. I tried a number of DVDs from the last couple of years, and even tried a couple of older ones ("Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind" from 2001, and "Revenge of the Sith",2005). Made no difference.

Is there a chance that the country code has been reset? I don't know how, but it seems strange that the home-made DVDs will play, but not retail movies.

SC Tom
Samsung Moderator

Regrettably, we don't have any information for changing the country code on this model. This will require service.