HW-K850/HWK950 Dolby Atmos passthrough; Anyone interested in starting a lawsuit?

Highlighted
Asteroid

HW-K850/HWK950 Dolby Atmos passthrough; Anyone interested in starting a lawsuit?

This soundbar was sold as supporting dolby atmos; after spending months browsing forums and seeing the lack of support for Dolby Atmos, I think we have a fair case of false advertising, and at the very least, Samsung should either:

A. Replace all the soundbars with soundbars that actually work

B. Refund the total price of our purchases

Any thoughts?

See more topics labeled with:

9 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: HW-K850/HWK950 Dolby Atmos passthrough; Anyone interested in starting a lawsuit?

[ Edited ]
Asteroid

Re: HW-K850/HWK950 Dolby Atmos passthrough; Anyone interested in starting a lawsuit?

Count me in.  Getting tired of the lack of any viable responses by Samsung on the lack of Atmos over ARC.  It is unacceptable on a product which Samsung markets as it's flagship Atmos capable soundbar.

Cosmic Ray

Welp sign me on up. For false advertising and lemon law and atrocious customer service.

Samsung Moderator

Both the HW-K850 and K950 Soundbars support Dolby Atmos.

It is important to note that all content and devices in the system must also support Dolby Atmos and that the soundbar is properly connected.

For example, if your home entertainment system consists of a Blu-ray Player and one of these soundbars, the Blu-ray Player and the disc must also have Dolby Atmos decoding. You can check if a disc supports Dolby Atmos by looking on the back cover of the packaging.

Finally the components need to be connected (see the diagram below), and the audio output of the playback device (i.e. Blu-ray Player) must be set to “Unprocessed Bitstream or no encoding.” Many devices default to “PCM output” which does not support Dolby Atmos.*

*It is important to note, Samsung cannot guarantee compatibility with non-Samsung devices.

Asteroid

Thank you Samsung for yet another useless response.  This thread is about the lack of Atmos passthrough over ARC, something this soundbar completely lacks the ability to do so.  This is unacceptable given that many tv's out there today are currently able to handle exactly this.  As Samsung's high-end soundbar, this functionality is not a 'nice to have' but is something that is expected.  Yes, you can use the HDMI input to get Atmos, but then the 850/950 is unable to passthrough Dolby Vision, which is also a dealbreaker.  So I either lose Dolby Vision or Atmos, depending on which of the crippled alternatives I am forced to accept.  I am actually starting to feel bad for the Samsung reps on these forums.  They are either too ignorant to actually address the issues being put forth or too unempowered to provide responses that actually provide useful information.  It is either a response like this that completely misses the point, or something that starts out with "regrettably we can't....".  How about taking these issues back to the people capable of making something happen and providing an update on where that stands instead?  Simply useless and some of the most inept customer support I have ever seen.  It is like Samsung simply doesn't care once the product is purchased.  Sad.

Asteroid

No support for ARC, so if your TV supports ATMOS you're out of luck for streaming Atmos sound from your TV.

Doesn't work with rear speakers.. where is the 7.1?

Plugging in a top-of-the-line Samsung blue ray player that supports atmos into the HDMI port of the soundbar, selecting HDMI, and selecting atmos out of the bluray player with a Atmos encoded bluray movie results in no sound coming out. Downmixing to PCM is the only way to get any sound out of the soundbar.

No support for TrueHD/DD+... only supports E-AC-3. 

Astronaut

Perfect sumamey of the situation,  my tv can handle both Vision and Atmos and pass through ARC and having a $1,300 sound system not been able to manage it is unnaceptable. 

Can we get a Samsung representative to give an official address here?

if I don't hear next few days, will have to return the k950 and go for a Sony SoundBar (and lose rear speakers, what is a shame...). 

And with Xbox X coming down the road with possible DV, not passing DV is unnaceptable.

Constellation

ARC and optical audio does not support Dolby Atmos. This has nothing to do with your tv or your soundbar. It’s ARC that is the problem. In order to receive Dolby Atmos, you need a Dolby Atmos supported device, like an Xbox One S, connected directly to the sound bar via an HDMI 2.0 cable. 

You will will not be able to get Dolby Atmos over ARC until eARC (Enhancrd Audio Return Channel) and HDMI 2.1 become available. Samsung is not false advertising. The K850 and K950 both support Dolby Atmos when connected properly.  Just like any other Dolby Atmos receiver or soundbar.  

Asteroid

They can still update the firware to allow DD+ over ARC, which can contain Lossy Atmos (good enough). We need to request this feaure in support tickets to samsung.