HW-K950 Needs Atmos over ARC

Cosmic Ray

Re: HW-K950 Needs Atmos over ARC

Yes I have lg oled c7. And i can guarantee you, you think you have atmos, probably enabled the "surround" enhancement on your remote, which sends the same 5.1 signal over to the top firing speakers, tricking you into thinking you're hearimg atmos. If you don't see that blue led on the top right of the soundbar, atmos is not enabled.
Constellation

[ Edited ]

Having read through this whole thread there doesn't seem to be a consensual answer?

The question I am here for is simple:

Will Atmos work on the soundbar with the Q9FN Netflix app connected via ARC to a K950 or N950 work?

if not:

Will it work when using an LG C8 Netflix App with K950 or N950 via ARC?

if not:

Will it work when using Q9FN Netflix App with i.e. a LG SK10Y?

As far as I read here LG C8 with LGSK10Y works fine. But as soon as Samsung is involved it seems to get problematic.

I was planning on getting 65Q9FN with a N950 but after reading here I might consider going all in on Lg... If your buying A/V products for about $3000 to $4000 it should just work!

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

@Welfi_1988 wrote:

Having read through this whole thread there doesn't seem to be a consensual answer?

The question I am here for is simple:

Will Atmos work on the soundbar with the Q9FN Netflix app connected via ARC to a K950 or N950 work?

if not:

Will it work when using an LG C8 Netflix App with K950 or N950 via ARC?

if not:

Will it work when using Q9FN Netflix App with i.e. a LG SK10Y?

As far as I read here LG C8 with LGSK10Y works fine. But as soon as Samsung is involved it seems to get problematic.

I was planning on getting 65Q9FN with a N950 but after reading here I might consider going all in on Lg... If your buying A/V products for about $3000 to $4000 it should just work!

I previously owned the Q9FN (be warned it has terrible DSE problems) and the hw-k950 and Atmos did not work over ARC.  From what I read about the hw-n950 Atmos will work over ARC if the source tv can pass it through.  Unless the Q9FN got an update to allow this it does not work.  I know the LG C8 can process and pass through Atmos as I now have that tv and the sk10y sound bar.  So if you purchased a C8 and hw-n950 atmos via Arc should work fine, also let it be known that the Neflix application has very few devices with atmos support.

Constellation

I previously owned the Q9FN (be warned it has terrible DSE problems) and the hw-k950 and Atmos did not work over ARC.  From what I read about the hw-n950 Atmos will work over ARC if the source tv can pass it through.  Unless the Q9FN got an update to allow this it does not work.  I know the LG C8 can process and pass through Atmos as I now have that tv and the sk10y sound bar.  So if you purchased a C8 and hw-n950 atmos via Arc should work fine, also let it be known that the Neflix application has very few devices with atmos support.

Well I just went through the user manuels of the SK10Y and the HW-N950 and in the SK10Y user manuel it explicitly says that it can input Atmos eihter via HDMI 1 and 2 inputs as well as HDMI-ARC to the TV (It only states that the TV needs to support Dolby Atmos).

In the N950 it only says it can input Atmos over HDMI 1 and 2 (inputs), there is no mention if it gets atmos over the HDMI-ARC. 

I wished for a list what codecs are supported over which input method, but there was none.

So if I want to be sure I guess I should ditch Samsung. Also DSE that bad that you switched..?

I have some more time to reconsider since I plan to buy mid November but still this draws me away from Sammy to LG.

Asteroid

@Welfi_1988 wrote:

Well I just went through the user manuels of the SK10Y and the HW-N950 and in the SK10Y user manuel it explicitly says that it can input Atmos eihter via HDMI 1 and 2 inputs as well as HDMI-ARC to the TV (It only states that the TV needs to support Dolby Atmos).

In the N950 it only says it can input Atmos over HDMI 1 and 2 (inputs), there is no mention if it gets atmos over the HDMI-ARC. 

I wished for a list what codecs are supported over which input method, but there was none.

So if I want to be sure I guess I should ditch Samsung. Also DSE that bad that you switched..?

I have some more time to reconsider since I plan to buy mid November but still this draws me away from Sammy to LG.

Yes I went through 3 Samsung Q9FN's they all had DSE that was equally bad on all of them.  DSE was supposedly not present on one panel version,  which I did not get during any of my exchanges so I cant validate that.  At the time the world cup was on and it irritated me to no end to see DSE all over the grass.  I have owned Samsung TVs all my life and it was hard to switch, but as of now I am glad I did.  Yes there is a small risk of burn in on the oled, but it is very rare if you use the tv for different things....like not watch cspan all day...lol. 

Asteroid

I see this still hasn't been resolved and no further update past 3117. This is frustrating. I have Vudu/Netflix content that has DV and Atmos...and I have to choose HDR with Atmos on the XBOX or the glory of DV with 5.1. Why @samsung will you not just freaken release an ARC fix and DV pass-through, especially with the XBOX getting DV support!?

Constellation

I solved that issue last night with my Xbox one x Netflix playing both vision and Atmos I’ve brought a hdfury avr key to split the hdmi signal I have one hdmi going to my LG oled c7 and one hdmi to my k950 I can confirm this works 100%

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

@userjE4CyA4iO7 wrote:

I solved that issue last night with my Xbox one x Netflix playing both vision and Atmos I’ve brought a hdfury avr key to split the hdmi signal I have one hdmi going to my LG oled c7 and one hdmi to my k950 I can confirm this works 100%

That is a viable "work around", but Samsung should have updated their sound bar to either allow passthrough of DV or allow Atmos to work via ARC.  Eitherway Samsung is to blame and left everyone that owns a k950 in the dust.  Their answer is to buy the n950 which resolves these issues.  This infuriates me to no end that Samsung thinks this is ok.  I ended up getting a SK10Y which if far cheaper and works for DV bypass or Atmos over ARC.  Don't get me wrong I really did like the sound quality of the k950 when the sound bar worked correctly.  There are just too many other issues or lack of features to make it a great sound bar.

Cosmic Ray

If you said you played atmos from your xbox, you didn't fix anything. That was never a problem

Constellation

Obviously didn’t fix the Atmos over arc but for me it’s sorted my issue out i wanted Atmos over arc for Netflix and Dolby vision at the same time which now I can do!