HW-N950 Bass, Wi-Fi connection over SmartThings, Firmware Update, speaker connectivity, equalizer

Constellation

HW-N950 Bass, Wi-Fi connection over SmartThings, Firmware Update, speaker connectivity, equalizer

1) Bass sounds pretty weak compared to my old 2012 Entry level Onkyo system.  I find myself missing that deep sound and sometimes check to see if the sub is even connected (it is), bass level is set at max +6 and subwoofer volume is also at max level.  No discernible difference.  Anyone else having this issue?

2). Connecting the Sound bar to my network via SmartThings app always fails.  The app is able to locate the sound bar, starts to connect , but consistently errors out at 44%.  Help!  Does it matter which frequency I’m in?  2.4 vs 5?

3). I hear the Firmware update has a lot of issues associated with it.  Maybe I don’t want it to connect to my WiFi since it would auto-update to the buggy firmware.  What issues have you all been experiencing?

4). I have to reconnect the satellite speakers every once in while.  It’s really annoying.  I do the ID set which would do the trick, but sometimes I have to just unplug the entire system and replug to get it all to connect.  Anyone else have this issue?

5)  I hear that there is a more extensive equalizer options , but it is only available if I have a samsung TV.....is this true??  After paying nearly $2K after taxes, I would expect all sound calibration options made available to me.

12 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: HW-N950 Bass, Wi-Fi connection over SmartThings, Firmware Update, speaker connectivity, equalize

[ Edited ]

I currently own this sound system for 5 days, so far:

1) I don't have this issue. My subwoofer is next to my couch, at 23 volume some loud sounds in movies can shake my couch, even the glass of the window.

2) I have 5 ghz network, no problem.

3) I have firmware 1001.2, when I try to update it through the SmartThings app it says I currently have the latest version, so... no update for me. (I'm in Europe)

4) I had this issue the 1st day of use. Not anymore. Try unplugging/unpowering everything and then plug back on. I have got to learn with this method some things can be fixed in this system.

5) The same Samsung TV equalizer options are also in the Samsung SmartThings app.

I do have issues of my own like HDMI inputs displaying "no signal" with devices plug to the system. Don't dispair. This device seems very faulty. Good luck.

Astronaut

Re: HW-N950 Bass, Wi-Fi connection over SmartThings, Firmware Update, speaker connectivity, equalize

Thanks for the reply! 

1)I'll try relocating my sub, hopefully that will help with the bass.  Does it matter where you place the side that fires off the bass (should be next to a solid surface or free air).

2) I'll try contacting Samsung to help me troubleshoot my network connection.

3) I've read we are on v1003.  I'm in the US though.

4) yeah I wish it would just stay connected, but I guess it's something I can live with.

5) Hopefully I can connect to the Smart things app soon!

Regarding your input issue, I haven't had that happen to me, but I've read that people who updated their firmware having a similar issue.

Constellation

Despite relaunching smartthings app numerous times & resetting soundbar by pressing +/- buttons simultaneously, I was onlt able to fully load smartthings app after unplugging & resetting  Samsung Q8 TV. Then you can connect to wi-if. You can also turn on/off auto update function for soundbar thru smartthings app. I have chosen not to update my old firmware due to user complaints about latest update. More extensive EQ accessible through smartthings app. Samsung Q8 remote only able to adjust volume on soundbar. Switching sources via tv remote is not possible. Unfortunate oversight that hopefully will be corrected. Therefore, I change sources on N950 remote or source button on top of soundbar.

Constellation

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue with the subwoofer even at +6.
With Atmos movies, the sub is great, even at 10 volume. But with non atmos videos, the sub is way too soft. I must up the volume to at least 25 to get acceptable result. My very cheap pc speakers get louder sub ...

Too bad because this soundbar is really great with Atmos content.

Cosmic Ray

1) Volume a overall bass level of n950 Subwoofer is very dependent on its physical location in your room. I had the same issue, then I moved to subwoofer to corner between wall and cabinet and now I have loud bass in atmos and in non atmos too. Music in stereo sounds perfect too. You need to check different locations in your room, you can get better results elsewhere than in the corner.

2) this is also my issue. I can not to connect. I always get message that the device is not responding. Please someone tell us exact guide to connect to smarttthing app. When it is needed to press network button on the botttom of n950? The manual is vague on this.... I can not believe this....

when I switch source to wifi I see on display of the soundbar “needed to connect wifi” after I press and hold network button on the bottom of the unit I see “ wifi network”. Is there another step? 

4) happens to me too. After turning off the soundbar and turning it on back after couple of hours sometimes subwoofer or rear speaker does not connect...

5) you do not need app to access EQ. Press and hold options button on remote controller for more then 5s. Then press left right to access freqeuncies and up down to boost or cut. I really recommend to play with EQ as it improves the overall quality of sound.

Constellation

I also have the issue with the rear speakers disconnecting ...

Cosmic Ray

OK, finally, I have managed to connect to Smartthing app. Here is what I have done:

1) I have powered down my wifi router and N950.

2) Powered on my Wifi Router back, waited for wifi network function to be operational

3) Powered on N950. I checked if every speker was connected.

4) I switch the source to WIFI on N950. Display of N950 showed WIFI NEED TO CONNECT

5) I pressed and held the Network button on the bottom of the N950 for couple of seconds - display showed WIFI NETWORK

6) I runned the Smartthing app, the N950 was seen by the app, so tapped to add it.

7) After couple of seconds dialog appeared with my wifi network name and password to be added.

8) Filled my Wifi password and the app finally added N950 as a device.

For info, my N950 is running FW 1001.2 as a factory default. I decided not to update to 1001.3 as some users have problems after the update. You can switch off auto update feature in Smartthing app on main screen.
Constellation

I get stuck on 44% of smartthings every time. Tried everything to get around it. Smiley Sad

The new 0.3 firmware has now kicked the tv off the audio so it doesnt work. 1500quid paper weight right now

Cosmic Ray

You need to power down both wifi router and N950. I mean pull out the power cords from the wall. Wait 1-2mins and then follow my guide above. The app should find the N950 and ask for your wifi password.