HW-N950 WiFi streaming

Asteroid

HW-N950 WiFi streaming

[ Edited ]

I have trouble with streaming from my Samsung S8 and Galaxy S4 10.5 devices using Amazon music and WiFi.

Using smartthings with the alexa skill loaded all appears to work OK:

1) I select 'cast to' within the Amazon music app. and select the HW-N950 as a destination

2) The soundbar switches to WiFi (shown on the LED display)

3) The app shows connected in the device menu

4) If I change the volume then the soundbar display increments/decrements as expected

However, there is no sound. Has anyone else experienced this? and are there any suggestions on what I might be doing wrong? BTW firmware is V.1005.1 (same problem with previous version as well)

Interestingly, if I use windows 10 'cast to device' to play an mp3 on my PC this works like a dream WiFi auto selects etc., no setup or app. needed, the PC had already discovered the soundbar and it simply appears as an option in the menu!

5 REPLIES
Asteroid

Re: HW-N950 WiFi streaming

<Bump> Any comments from Samsung please?

Samsung Moderator

We are sorry to hear about this. Are the phone and soundbar both connected to the 2.4 Ghz band on the WiFi router?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

Hi,

My WiFi does have two AP's due to coverage issues, so I spent time yesterday and re-configured all.

I powered off all but 1 AP and ensured it was set to 2.4Ghz, powered off the HW-N950 soundbar and removed the Alexa skill and smartthings from my Samsung devices.

I then reconnected to the AP, verified 2.4Ghz connection, and 'joined' the soundbar to WiFi as well, again checked it was 2.4Ghz and connected. Re-installed smartthings and the Alexa skill etc.

The soundbar shows in my Amazon music as a 'cast to'device. When selected the app states it is connecting, the soundbar switches to WiFi as a source and the app appears to play. I can control volume (change volume on the device and the HW-N950 soundbar display increments/decrements) but there is still no sound.

The HW-N950 does not show in the Samsung Multiroom app (it never has), if this worked, then it would be an acceptable solution actually, but I guess its not supported which seems strange to me.

Sadly I must decide if I keep the HW-N950 or return it very soon, as I am running out of time on my return window and dispite the excellent sound it is a serious issue to me that I cannot stream using WiFI, this was one of the reasons I purchased.

Thanks for your continued advice.

Samsung Moderator

Could you try using the Samsung SmartThings app instead of the Multiroom app?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

Hello, I am sorry if I was unclear.

I have been using the smartthings app and my problem is related to the use of Smartthings, amazon music casting via Alexa.

My reference to multiroom was to say that compatability with this system this would have been an acceptable solution since I own other speakers using this app.