Samsung N950 w/Apple 4K tv - Do I really have to choose 4k HDR, Dolby Atmos, or get a Receiver?

Asteroid

Samsung N950 w/Apple 4K tv - Do I really have to choose 4k HDR, Dolby Atmos, or get a Receiver?

So I bought a Samsung n950 two weeks ago. I got the Apple 4K TV shortly after to get Dolby Atmos thru Netflix. The apple 4k tv was connected to the soundbar via a 4k hdmi cable and then the soundbar was connected to the ARC on the tv thru the regular hdmi cable provided in the n950 box. I had some video cutting out problems occassionally and knew it was because I needed to get a 4k cable to hook up my ARC. Once I got the 4k cable to pass from the soundbar to the TV thru the ARC it worked for one night. The next day it no longer worked. I've now found out that the n950 does not have 4k HDR video pass through capabilities. So I have the option of either downgrading the quality of the apple 4k tv video feed, or plugging in the apple 4k tv directly to the tv to keep the high quality video and then the tv only passing on 5.1 sound to the soundbar thru the ARC which the speaker will then upscale. I could spend hundreds, potentially thousands, of dollars on a receiver to fix this, but that seems excessive. I didn't think I was going to spend this much money and have to choose between these three options. Is there some switch that might work? Below is a link for something I'm hoping could be the fix, but I'm doubtful. When the speakers upscale the audio data, are they upscaling it to typically match the way it was intended to be heard, or how different is it at that point? What am I missing here?

https://smile.amazon.com/TNP-Splitter-High-Speed-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B079NHSPMV/ref=sr_1_2_ssp...

7 REPLIES
Constellation

Re: Samsung N950 w/Apple 4K tv - Do I really have to choose 4k HDR, Dolby Atmos, or get a Receiver?

What you would want is this:

https://www.hdfury.com/product/avr-key/

I have the older model K950 and use it with my Apple TV 4k - the device splits out the audio/video feeds, so I have the AppleTV plugged into the input on the device and then it has 2 outputs, one to the TV and one to the Soundbar. This is the only solution I've found, and will properly pass Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos to the TV/Soundbar respectively. There are a few (very few) caveats though, certain updates to the Apple TV has caused sync issues, but they've been mostly resolved - by sync issues, I mean - if you have source-matching on, going from one source to the next (i.e. HDR to SDR), the video would break - but this was rare and a quick reset of the device resolved the issue. Either way, I think you'll be happy with the solution. 

Asteroid

Re: Samsung N950 w/Apple 4K tv - Do I really have to choose 4k HDR, Dolby Atmos, or get a Receiver?

This looks like exactly what I need to accomplish this at a much more reasonable price. Now I need to figure out if it's worth another $150, or if the upscaling it's already doing matches the quality. I'm going to mark this as answered, but if anybody has any more advice on if it's worth it, or has found a better work around, please let me know. I probably won't be buying this immediately. 

Thank you very much for the answer above, it's 10x better than anything I've been able to find to this point.

Constellation

Was 4k HDR never passthrough? I am running into the same issue.

Asteroid

I believe on the soundbar's box it says it's 4k passthrough, but I called their helpline directly and they said the soundbar does not have 4k passthrough. Which is straight up false advertising and illegal, but whatever

Constellation

I am using the setup with avr key. Apple TV 4K, avrkey and Samsung Soundbar. But the Blue Light on the k950 does Not turn on. Anything wrong?

Best Regards

Kai

Astronaut

You need to be playing Dolby Atmos content for the light to come on. 

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

I thought the AVR Key was the solution. I bought the key, and it did not work for me. Picture and audio were sent to the tv only, nothing went to the soundbar. Not sure why. Spent about a cumulative six hours calling helplines, emailing, and looking online for some support. Couldn't get it to work, so I returned it. Anybody have any other ideas?