JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Update LOVE !! - 2016 Soundbar w/ Dolby Atmos HW-K950

(Topic created: 01-15-2017 09:54 AM)
Tweetatoo
Halo
Options
Home Theater

Needs update !! 2016 Soundbar w/ Dolby Atmos HW-K950 Hey Samsung Support This sound bar really needs to be updated to get those back wireless speakers working, you can hardly hear anything even when bringing the individual volume up, it also seems to have handshake issues with your SAMSUNG TV's. DTS-X support would be amazing ! Overall it's a good bar but really could be fantastic if you gave us a little software/firmware update love !

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

If nothing else, just to archive my challenges.   I have the HW-K950 Soundbar, UBD K8600 4k Blueray, and KS9800 78" SUHD tv.    If you do not have everything set-up correctly, you will get little or no ATMOS effect.     As highlighted in the manual, if you do not see the blue LED and Dolby ATMOS scrolling across the sound bar - you don't have it.   You must set the Blue-ray player to bitstream unprocessed, run the HMDI into the sound bar (1 or 2) and run the HMDI ARC back to the tv.   Since the KS9800 has a One-Connect box, I mistakenly assumed I could run the Blue-ray HMDI to the One-Connect box and have the respective ARC connections to the soundbar.   While you get some version of "surround sound", it's not Dolby ATMOS.  

The One-Connect complicated things because I did the "easy" thing and assumed the simple connection options would work.   They do work, but you don't get what you paid for until you use more of the brute force method.

View solution in context

106 Replies
Solution
usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

If nothing else, just to archive my challenges.   I have the HW-K950 Soundbar, UBD K8600 4k Blueray, and KS9800 78" SUHD tv.    If you do not have everything set-up correctly, you will get little or no ATMOS effect.     As highlighted in the manual, if you do not see the blue LED and Dolby ATMOS scrolling across the sound bar - you don't have it.   You must set the Blue-ray player to bitstream unprocessed, run the HMDI into the sound bar (1 or 2) and run the HMDI ARC back to the tv.   Since the KS9800 has a One-Connect box, I mistakenly assumed I could run the Blue-ray HMDI to the One-Connect box and have the respective ARC connections to the soundbar.   While you get some version of "surround sound", it's not Dolby ATMOS.  

The One-Connect complicated things because I did the "easy" thing and assumed the simple connection options would work.   They do work, but you don't get what you paid for until you use more of the brute force method.

usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I should have added that UBD K8500 Blueray player does have the option to convert DTS to Dolby, but you won't get the full Dolby ATMOS.   So, that is apparently Samsung's solution for DTS.   I read an opinion that the HW-K950 limitation to Dolby was to save licensing fees, but considering the cost of this soundbar, another few dollars per unit would have been easily justified and appreciated as a customer.

0 Likes
usercQJKzEqzLB
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

Finally, to get any available Dolby directly from the TV, it seems the the Expert tv sound settings must be HDMI bitstream and then Dolby.

PS  There is a firmware update for the soundbar, but connecting to the interent was not straight forward.

0 Likes
Tweetatoo
Halo
Options
Home Theater

I read the same thing, a bit of a bummer !!

Thanks for your help !

0 Likes
userwJT4fDQ8VH
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I'm trying to clarify....you hooked up the blue ray player to the soundbar as opposed to hooking it up to the back of the tv (via HDMI cable)?  I have the speaker hooked up to the arc connection on my Samsung TV.  I tried to hook up the 4k Samsung blue ray player directly to the sound bar (1 or 2) and it wouldn't work.  I hooked it up to the soundbar AND the TV and then it seemed to work, but still no ATMOS.  I tried to get some help from Samsung support, but my Arc suddenly stopped working and Samsung support said I needed new HDMI cables.  (I purchased the cables brand new from Best Buy when I purchased the sound bar.  I found a thread that said to unplug everything for about 30 minutes and the ARC magically starts working again.  Guess what?  Arc started working again!  So, I gave up on trying to get anymore assistance from Samsung support.)  I still don't have ATMOS display on sound bar or the blue light when I play the 4K movies with ATMOS sound.  The sound is really good, but....  So, I'm wondering if you could clarify how you have your system set up.  I have a 4k SUHD Samsung TV and I also purchased the Samsung 4k blue ray player to go with this system.   Thank you so much!!! 

0 Likes
Just Work OK
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

I have a question. If you don't have an atmo blue ray disc, but you watch a 4K movie through your blue ray players Netflix instead of the TV's Netflix, will you than get the Atmos effect?

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Home Theater

It will be good but not quite Atmos quality.  We apologize for the delay.    

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes
userCOLbf8u5E2
Cosmic Ray
Options
Home Theater

@userfb3wOAEVyn wrote:

I have a question. If you don't have an atmo blue ray disc, but you watch a 4K movie through your blue ray players Netflix instead of the TV's Netflix, will you than get the Atmos effect?

Yes. Although I don't see any atmos video on Netflix, I found a free dolby demo movie on Vudu. The blu-ray version of Vudu get atmos recognized by the soundbar, while the TV's Vudu app only outputs dolby digital. 

0 Likes
GremlinX
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Sorry I took so long getting back to you. I assume you have the latest 4k dvd player. The ARC conections are connected together on the sound bar and to the smart hub.I have my cable box on HDMI 1, the DVD player on HDMI 2. Make sure your DVD player is set to Bitstream unprocessed. I too do not get the Atmos blue led indication, I haven't figured that out yet. Maybe someone in the thread can help out with this. Sometimes just recycling the bar and TV can straighten out sync and sound issues.

0 Likes