cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

2020 soundbars PCM audio processing delay bug (Q70T, Q800T, HW-T450 and maybe more)

So my previous post was "marked as spaam", despite zero response from Samsung and multiple other users sharing their experience of the same bug. Creating this new post to track the 2020 models that are experiencing this bug.

Models affected:

Currently, users on this forum have reported the following 2020 soundbars with this bug:

HW-Q70T, HW-Q800T, HW-T450

More 2020 soundbars could be affected.

Bug: When processing PCM audio, the soundbar has a processing delay that cause the first 0.5s of the sound to get cut-off. When the sound itself is really short, the sound would not output at all.

Example:

1. The Nintendo Switch menu button click sounds are completely missing when using the soundbars. This is likely due to the time it takes the soundbar to process PCM audio is longer than the actual sound itself.

2. When playing a PCM audio track, you will notice the first second of audio is missing before the soundbar output the rest of the audio. However, Bitstream(Dolby, DTS) audio sources work completely fine with the soundbar.

I have tested this on multiple displays/TVs with multiple input source and the soundbars are on the latest firmware(v1006). This is a soundbar issue and a serious firmware bug.

EDIT: 08/24 Update: The new firmware v1016 seems to have fixed this PCM audio bug.

However, another issue seems to peresist where the audio would break up randomly and it affects not only PCM but bitstream as well.

09/08:  The audio break-up bug is still very noticeable and other users have reported this as well. This bug was present before v1016 and still seems to persist after the latest firmware update.

10/21: So apparently Samsung released a new firmware last week. However, in typical Samsung fashion, their useless mobile app is not working properly and no one can get the update via the app.

Then, to my surprise, I learned that Samsung use MICRO USB port on their soundbar. So you can't even update via USB without buying an adapter. (I can understand if the port were USB-C. But no, it's MICRO USB in 2020.)

How Samsung can be this incompetent is beyond comprehension. Not only do they completely botch the 2020 soundbars launch with numerous bugs. When they do release updates that supposedly fix the bugs, their other department also fails so no one can get the update. It would be hilarious if they are not so pathetic.

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Astronaut

Re: 2020 soundbars PCM audio processing delay bug (Q70T, Q800T, HW-T450 and maybe more)

This is purely a theory but I think Samsung is releasing a firmware update soon that should fix this issue. I ordered this soundbar 5 days ago for $399 but cancelled it after seeing the large thread on the lpcm issues. Then yesterday, I noticed that the large thread on this topic was actually deleted a couple of days ago. I also saw that there was a Samsung response to one of the reviews on the soundbar from 3 days ago, stating that a new firmware update was coming soon. I optimistically guessed/hoped that the deletion of the other thread was related to the upcoming firmware update and that this update may have fixed the issue.

Anywho, so I ordered the soundbar in a bundle with the 9000S yesterday for $499, (the soundbar came out to $380 in the bundle). Just today I noticed that this soundbar is now being sold for $599 everywhere, including Amazon. This is another thing that leads me to believe this pcm issue will be fixed with the upcoming firmware update. If not, this is a crazy move from Samsung to increase the price with this issue being unresolved. 

So, here's to hoping!

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: 2020 soundbars PCM audio processing delay bug (Q70T, Q800T, HW-T450 and maybe more)

Well, I'd love for Samsung to release a firmware to fix this bug. However, the previous thread was removed because it was incorrectly "marked as spaam" after I updated the title to indicate it's a problem with all 2020 models.

For a while after, everything I post was automatically removed until a mod restored this post. Unfortunately that old post is still removed despite a lot of users discussing the same issue.

Highlighted
Astronaut

Same.  I have the Q70T.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

I also have this issue with the Q70T. It even happens with built in apps on my LG B9. Nintendo Switch menu sounds never work, and even when playing games on my switch, sound drops out a lot. It's made it to where I don't even play my switch on the soundbar anymore.

I certainly hope a firmware update is on the way. I just don't know how this was able to get past QA.

Highlighted
Asteroid

Just chiming in to say that I'm experiencing the exact same issue. Similarly tested across multiple inputs/tvs/cables.

Highlighted
Asteroid

I actually returned this Bar because of this issue, thinking it was a faulty unit. No way this is intentional.

I'd love Samsung to fix it, it's a great Soundbar except for a major firmware issue.

Highlighted
Astronaut

just addin my complaint here, this is an annoying bug. Please fix it.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

It has been 3 months since the last firmware update.

Nothing from Samsung to address or acknowledge the bugs.

Highlighted
Asteroid

So from what I can see on google, there is harldy any reviews for the T series of soundbars. Like, none from big places. 

My thinking (hope) is that Samsung isn't really ready to roll this out yet? I even saw a listing for this say that some features are coming in a July 2020 Firmware update, which as you pointed out, hasn't come yet.

I'm wondering if that firmware is needed for Samsung to have confidence in the soundbar before rolling it and the rest of the 2020 to reviewers. I even saw them today upload a video on YouTube showcasing their new soundbar, the Q70T. For us it isn't new but to the wider public that's how their showing it.

Now, them using us, the consumer, as beta testers is rather deplorable as it is.