cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

4K movies don't look the way I think they should

JUMP TO SOLUTION

recently bought Samsung 4K player and watched Spiderman 2 and Hancock. I was a bit disappointed with the picture quality. It didn't look anything like the 4K videos that you can find on YouTube. My expectation was that 4K movies would look the same as 4K GoPro videos. I ran the YouTube videos through the player just to be sure that the player was working properly. Am I mistaken in my assumption? Is it because movies are film based while GoPro video is digital?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 4K movies don't look the way I think they should

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Most films are shot on film and filmed at 2K.  The 4k Blu-rays are upconverted from 2k. They provide better colors but since the movie is not filmed in 4K it will be an upconverted 4K image rather than a native 4k image.

Playing a 1080p Blu-ray movie on a 4K TV looks okay because the TV will upscale the signal.  The 4k Blu-rays look better when played on a 4k TV because the TV isn’t doing its own internal upscaling the studio has gone through and done the upscaling of the content and the disc is outputting a 4K image rendered by the studio. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: 4K movies don't look the way I think they should

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Most films are shot on film and filmed at 2K.  The 4k Blu-rays are upconverted from 2k. They provide better colors but since the movie is not filmed in 4K it will be an upconverted 4K image rather than a native 4k image.

Playing a 1080p Blu-ray movie on a 4K TV looks okay because the TV will upscale the signal.  The 4k Blu-rays look better when played on a 4k TV because the TV isn’t doing its own internal upscaling the studio has gone through and done the upscaling of the content and the disc is outputting a 4K image rendered by the studio. 

View solution in original post