Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Asteroid

ARC set up problems.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I knew this would not end well.
I have been using an optical connection from Samsung MS650 soundbar to a LG B7 TV and this morning I thought, after hearing much about ARC, to swap cables over, removing the optical and installing an HDMI which is connected to the correct ports on both soundbar and TV and nothing.
I view TV via a Humax PVR but have also do not have sound if the viewing via the TV. Oh and I changed the source in the TV settings. I thought I had sorted it by moving the HDMI cable from the PVR to the HDMI port which is next to the HDMI Arc port as the sound worked fine.

I think I was a bit early with my feeling of smugness when it seemed that all was well with my problem yesterday because on turning the TV on at 5 am this morning although the soundbar initially showed Arc it switched to D.in after a few seconds.

I have no idea what to do, is it perhaps the HDMI cable which I dragged from a box of cables?
For the time being I have gone back to optical.

Now I am stumped, which is not difficult given my lack of knowledge in these matters, any advice welcome.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Asteroid

Re: ARC set up problems.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorted by plugging in one of these in the PVR. All praise Google for suggesting the possible solution.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DL48KVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm sorry to hear that how exactly to you have everything connected? Also, what is the current firmware version on the soundbar? 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Firmware is up to date according to the app not that that should matter as It really should work out of the box. But it is 1147.2

I thought my post made it very clear I am connecting the soundbar to the TV, both in the ARC ports with a decent HDMI cable.

The sound works fine if I use the TV tuner but soon as I use the PVR the soundbar defaults to D.in.

I really have no idea what I can do except as others have done with the same problem with the 650 is stick with optical.

Highlighted
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

This may be a compatibility issue with the PVR.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I'm not familiar with the Humax PVR, but this looks like an interesting challenge. How have you got video to your TVs in the past? Optical will not transmit video, I think... hdmi moves both video and audio. I cannot find a Humax manual on their web site so cannot see if they support arc via hdmi/cec. But, I'd like to see if I can help. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

THe PVR works perfectly with the LG B& by being connected via HDMI and the soundbar connected to the TV via optical.

It may well be an issue with the PVR and CEC but also a problem for ARC in its current guise is manufacturers have been left to pick and choose which elements of the protocol they want to include. Which does of course lead to issues. 

To be honest I have never been happy with the MS650 as dialogue is poor at low volume levels and I hear no difference with Clear Voice enabled so I am currently looking to replace it with something better. But I thought I might play around with the ARC set up  whilst researching a replacement soundbar. 

I am going to try using  HDMI CEC Less Adapter on the PVR but am not hopeful. I have been getting a bit of help over at AV forums and it has been suggested that the MS650 has aways had issues with ARC?

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorted by plugging in one of these in the PVR. All praise Google for suggesting the possible solution.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DL48KVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I like it.  I need to get this too. Good work finding it. 

Highlighted
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks, hope it works for you.